Hi,

I have a NF-M2S motherboard for about half an year now, it has worked well, met most of my expectations and exceeded some. However recently there was a problem which i am unable to diagnose.

About two days ago I was playing a game (which i had played several times before) and a small plastic breaking noise was heard followed by the computer inmediately shutting down.
At first i assumed that my power surge protector had done its job and that was the noise, but upon closer inspection I realised that the lights on it were normal and other devices connected to it still had power (e.g. the monitor, sound system, etc..) so I unplugged everything and after a while plugged it back in just to find out that pressing the computer's power button achieved no results.

I then started to suspect something inside the motherboard had short circuited, so i proceeded to unplug everything and open the chassis. I carefully hooked up my anti-static wrist band and checked the entire motherboard for any signs of a short circuit. I saw no evident signs of an electrical issue with the board so i procceded to test the Power Supply with another motherboard that i had lying around. After hooking up the motherboard i observed that it did not turn on either.

So very well the next day i went to the store and purchased a new power supply and hooked it up, after pressing the power button I observed the fans turning on and assumed that that was all, but to my surprise short continous beeps started emitting from the speaker. I followed the instruction on the thin manual and ended up clearing the CMOS, unpluging everything and testing it one by one. All of course with the same beep pattern haunting me.

I would appreciate it if I could get any help on the issue since it has me worried about what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance,
- Roiie.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Ermh... that is an Abit NF-M2S Motherboard , sorry for not mentioning it before.

short continuous beeps started emitting from the speaker???

Usually indicates bad ram or video device ,possible that you psu fried either one or both items .
bios beeps are code ,like one long and 3 short, or one long repeated, or one short repeated ,depending on the bios maker .check here , http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

Usually indicates bad ram or video device ,possible that you psu fried either one or both items .

Yes, after some inspection for burned or scorched spots and damaged capacitos i have deemed the motherboard OK ... (but then again I am no expert) the only thing is that for some reason my main Memoy slot is malfunctioning... or is it the momory itself? Anyways, after switcing it to the other slot imanaged to get a boot and the bios to beep once (apparently that is a good thing) it booted into Windows but for some reason my USB mouse and keyboad (which function great at startup) do not wok when Windows boots up and shows me the welcome screen... futhermore .... after I tuned of the computer and plugged in standard PS2 Keyboard and Mouse i booted into Windows only to find out that my username DISAPEARED :O!!!! !!!! !! !!!....

No username appears under Safe mode or under the my most recent configurations that worked .... any help on this??? ( I at least hope that my files which were on a separate partition are alright)

Thanks in advance,
- Roiie.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.