I have a old HP paviliion 63XX. Its about 5 years old, 500mhz. It has no video card so I guess its on the mother board. Anyway for no reason the computer starts out fine with the windows logo looking great then when It asks to log on it switches over to a lower resolution. I try switching it to higher res but it goes back. My question is If I buy a Pci Video card will it bypass the video chip on the motherboard. Will this work. I'm planning on buying an old 64bit diamond steath card for about $10.00. Is this a good idea?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

i used to have an old hp too and it had on board video. the prob. with your screen res is the vid card cant run at that resolution so it goes back and if you put in that old diamond it will run like crap the best thing to do is got to a computer store or a wal-mart and buy an agp vidcard such as an PNY vetro G-Force 4 and it will run good. you shouldnt but to fast of a vid card though cus your proccesor wont be able to run it worth a crap.

I have a old HP paviliion 63XX. Its about 5 years old, 500mhz. It has no video card so I guess its on the mother board. Anyway for no reason the computer starts out fine with the windows logo looking great then when It asks to log on it switches over to a lower resolution. I try switching it to higher res but it goes back. My question is If I buy a Pci Video card will it bypass the video chip on the motherboard. Will this work. I'm planning on buying an old 64bit diamond steath card for about $10.00. Is this a good idea?

check in device manager and make sure the correct drivers ar installed foe the video display ,also Does The motherboard of said computer have a AGP slot !!!!!!,

Important information needed: which version of Windows do you run? Next, go to the Device Manager and determine which chipset you have. Please post this information, and I will tell you what you can do. Unless you run heavy-duty games or video playback, the stock video chip should be OK. Anyone who gives you advice without asking for further information is talking up their sleeve.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.