I keep getting the blue screen of death. :sad:
I am running win 2000 sp4
256meg ram ,1.7 pentium 4
maxtor diamondmax 120 gig
aopen AX4BS-V
I thought it might be the hard drive, so I put a new WD120gig in.
I started to format for the install of win 2000 and bam the blue screen is back. here is what it says

***STOP: 0X0000000A (0XE198580C,0X00000002,0X00000000,0X80446ECD)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***ADDRESS 80448ECD BASE AT 80400000,DATESTAMP 3ee650b3-NTOSKRNL.EXE

What is this?I unplugged all my cards except the video card.
and it still is there.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

also if I try and boot from my win2000 disk it just restarts then I get the blue screen, If I try and boot now from harddrive it says this
NTLDR missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart

that link didnt help, but thanx some interesting stuff there.
I have tried installing a new HD and OS but it comes up with a
ntldr press ctrl+alt+del to restart
cant understand why this comes up if it is a new hard drive.
any ideas

If you mean the "NTLDR missing" error, that can happen for a few reasons.

1. Sometimes the install just glitches, and a second try will work.

2. The drive's IDE cable isn't seated properly, or the Master/Slave jumpers on the drive are set incorrectly.

3. Your drive's geometry is incorrectly interpreted by the BIOS.

4. Your boot.ini file is misconfigured. Assuming a single partition on the Primary Master drive, the relevent boot.ini entries should be similar to:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Note the "multi", "disk", "rdisk", and "partition" values; they should be as given above. If they aren't, you'll have to boot from a floppy or the install CD and edit the file.

5. The NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file is corrupt. You can try to fix this by booting into the rescue console from the CD. Locate the two file on the CD and copy them both to the root directory of your drive and reboot.

I am haveing a problem booting from my cd.
it starts to load up than it asks for the install repair or stop install.
when I click on repair or install it just reboots the pc.
I copied the ntdlr and ntdetect files from another pc running 2000
and when it booted it said that the ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt.any way to fix this?
I still dont understand why it wont let me do a fresh install.

OK, here's more info on the original error:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL%22+NTOSKRNL.EXE&btnG=Search

You might have a hardware or driver problem; check Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility List (and search the web) to see if there are any known issues with your particular motherboard and system components.

As for the new drive, you might want to find a way to wipe the thing entirely; it sounds like problems are just getting compounded here. Since the CD-ROM approach doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere, a Win boot disk with the fdisk program on it, or putting the drive in another computer, are a couple of possibilities.

thanx DMR
I got it working finally.
I had to add the I386 folder to my c drive than I was able to reinstall
win 2000. shesh what a nightmare that was for me!
thanx again for your help! :D

Very cool; you're welcome.

A nightmare perhaps, but if copying the contents of the i386 folder allowed you to fix the problem, then life is good. :)

(Marking this as solved)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.