My daughter is having an unusual problem with her computer. After running anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour, the computer shuts off completely. There is no warning or blue screen of death. The computer shuts off as if it were unplugged.

A friend thinks it may be an overheating problem with the central processor, however I am clueless to the problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

A friend thinks it may be an overheating problem with the central processor, however I am clueless to the problem.

More than likely....

You might want to clean the dust out of the heatsink on top of the processor and the fan and the powersupply and the chipset and the motherboard....(ect..)
Buy air duster
No offense but people act like these things dont need physical cleaning.

It also could be a bad fan

Also do you have ANTI-VIRUS updated and running.
If not www.GRISOFT.com

Overheating is possible, but it's more likely a clogged or bad power supply fan. If it's clogged, yank out or blow out the killer dust bunnies. If it's slow-spinning, they are relatively easy to replace; you can even get a replacement at Radio Shack or any computer shop or trade show. Most are 80mm square x 25mm thick and draw about 200mA current at 12V (roughly 2.5W). Just be sure to unplug the unit and wait about 10 minutes before opening it to let the capacitors discharge (they have bleeder resistors partly for this purpose).

You may want to go one step further and replace the whole supply; most are a standard form factor known as ATX.

yank out or blow out the killer dust bunnies

He means whith a can of air duster seriously

and wait about 10 minutes before opening it

Might I add this will void any warranty on the power supply.

He means whith a can of air duster seriously

Might I add this will void any warranty on the power supply.

I remember yanking the AT connector and the ATX 2.03 12v 4-pin connecter out of my Antec. Useless connections.

Yes, I voided the hell out of that thing a few months back...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.