Hey I just finished building my computer and when I turn it on the only thing that happens is all the fans turn on and the floppy drive light stays on. The monitor screen stays blank also. Also right when I flip the switch on the power supply everything turns on and in order to turn it off you have to do it buy flipping the switch again. I would really appriciate if someone could help me out by talking it out through AOL or AIM. My AIM screen name is lm0riginal, copy and paste that. But if that is not possible then this thread will help. Thanks alot.

Recommended Answers

All 39 Replies

Check your ram sticks the RAM must be seated all the way in. After you take the RAM out and put it back in all the way(gold should not be exposed an should be even) come back and post I hope that was all it was.

Check your ram sticks the RAM must be seated all the way in. After you take the RAM out and put it back in all the way(gold should not be exposed an should be even) come back and post I hope that was all it was.

I agree.

I have a system that pops out the AGP card if shaken just the right way. Might want to make sure all of the expansion cards are fully seated in addition to the RAM.

If neither one of those does the trick, you may want to disassemble the entire computer, up to and including taking the motherboard out and rescrewing it back down to the case. Something could be grounding out.

If neither one of those does the trick, you may want to disassemble the entire computer, up to and including taking the motherboard out and rescrewing it back down to the case. Something could be grounding out.

I also agree, if you do end up taking the board out and your custom box is painted scratch the paint off so the metal is exposed on the screw holes. I would also suggest leaving the screw out by the RAM(middle of the board).
Post back the results

I just finished building my computer and when I turn it on the only thing that happens is all the fans turn on and the floppy drive light stays on. The monitor screen stays blank also.

...floppy drive light stays on... almost always indicates a floppy-drive cable connector plugged in backwards. It usually does not cause damage, but it can "hold off" the system and prevent booting. Try that first and report back.

...floppy drive light stays on... almost always indicates a floppy-drive cable connector plugged in backwards. It usually does not cause damage, but it can "hold off" the system and prevent booting. Try that first and report back.

Not to discredit your post, but on all three systems that I've built for myself, and the 20+ for my company, I've screwed up multiple times with that and while the light may stay on, the system still POSTs and boots fine. Just doesn't recognize the floppy properly.

It sounds more like a ground out than anything.

Alright i'll try taking everything out again. Thanks. BTW: For the floppy, the red stripe is on pin number 1.

Still no hope, same thing.....anything else?

Are you plugging your monitor into the video card or the motherboard and did you make sure the video card is in all the way

Is this a new monitor if so try a old one

No the monitor isnt new and yes I am plugging the monitor in. I apprieciate you helping but I gatta go somewhere real quick, i'll probably back in 2 hours or so. Keep posting and Thanks for helping

i'd say if the monitor isnt coming on the vid card isnt in all the way or its fried or the computer isnt reconizing it and the screen isnt coming on. I had some probs with my first computer with the vid card. What are you running in your PC?

if its fried it still would turn on?

the computer will come on but you wont get a screen.

Just a quick question . . . I dont think anyone asked, but were there any post beeps?

no beep, if its fried what can I do with it? Man that's messed up, i spend all my money on this computer and it gets fried, i used a esd bracelet too!

Its prob not fried dont jump to coclusions here bra. 1st did u get the board from tiger direct?
second make sure the processor is all they way in and locked try to relock it physically smell the board for unfimiliar smells(burned plastic & like crack..lol) if you return your board I would suggest you use some rubbing alcohol on the board to give it that fresh "out of the box" new smell ,cause they will smell it when you take it back.
(suggestion)

good luck if you have to return stuff to tiger direct.. especially a motherboard or processor. when i made a return, they never credited back my credit card - so i had to contest the charges with my credit card company. they really suck.

So if it's fried I have to replace the motherboard only? My friend gave it to me, I traded some stuff with him.

Is this your best buddy that gave you the board? I would take it back this is getting real suspiciuos now to me atleast. Maybe the board had a good dose of static (prior)

good luck if you have to return stuff to tiger direct..card

You should see the better buisness bureau's for public records on them this is not theyre first upset consumer.

So only the board needs to be replacedd?

No you have not determined the problem yet dont jump to conclusions. Is this your video card(you know it works) or did you get it from the same buddy? Try plugging the monitor directly to the motherboard board not the video card.

I can't plug it into the motherboard.

im sure the video card works because i've used it on my other computer, and when I turn the computer on the fan on the video card turns on.

Im running a p4 processor, Gigabyte GA-8sG800 Motherboard, 32mb geforce 2 video card, 512mb ddr ram, Seagate baracuda hard drive, and regular burner and dvd player.

Is P4 even compatible with that Mortherboard?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.