I am thinking of buying an Apple work station, but have a couple of compatability questions. 1) Can I video-chat to someone who has a regular PC with Microspoft XP? 2) Do I still use the unique e-mail software provided by my ISP? 3) Can I load my Creative MP3 player software? Hope someone can help with one or all of these....I'm really excited about rying an Apple after so many years of thinking about it.

regards
Hugh

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

>Can I video-chat to someone who has a regular PC with Microspoft XP?
aMSN can accomplish this.

>Do I still use the unique e-mail software provided by my ISP?
This is a question you should ask your ISP.

>Can I load my Creative MP3 player software?
XNJB is a Mac implementation of the Creative Nomad software.

Thank you. That helps.

regards
Hugh

I am thinking of buying an Apple work station, but have a couple of compatability questions. 1) Can I video-chat to someone who has a regular PC with Microspoft XP?

Yeah... absolutely. Not just MSN either. Many types of video chat, including AOL all work well.

2) Do I still use the unique e-mail software provided by my ISP?

The Apple provided MAIL program should work great. We use it with Microsoft Exchange, POP, and IMAP accounts. Mail is a pretty universal protocol, so I'm sure your ISP can give you settings to use the new fancy mac program.

3) Can I load my Creative MP3 player software? Hope someone can help with one or all of these....I'm really excited about rying an Apple after so many years of thinking about it.

Yeah, it'll work. You can use Microsoft media player too. Contrary to popular belief, most stuff works with mac just fine. Just apple store purchased songs, purchased prior to this week, will need to be played on an iPod. All new music purchased at the iTunes store is actually now DRM free, and can be played on any device.

Hope this helps. Good luck. The only problem you'll have switching is the constant regret you didn't do it sooner.

you can try skype.it works both on mac and pc for video chatting

There is also a MSN Messenger 8.0 Beta for Mac just released. It enables video conferencing on Mac (Finally!)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.