I recently built a new computer with the following components:

Asus P5Q SE/R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 processor
Crucial 4GB Kit (2GBx2) 240-pin PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 memory
2 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (Setup with Raid 1)
LG 22x DVD+-R DVD Burner SATA Model GH22LS30
PNY VCG84R2SXEB GeForce 8400 GS PCI Express 2.0 Graphics card
Raidmax Scorpio ATX-868WUP Case with 420W power supply.

It was working fine for a few days and then I was using it, left the room for a few minutes and when I came back it was powered on but my monitor was not displaying anything, and my hard drive lights were not working. I shut it off and turned it back on but it only stayed powered for about 5 seconds before powering off, and it then automatically powered back on and stayed on, but it did not boot.

I unplugged everything from the motherboard and power supply and tried to start it with only the cpu and memory attached, but got the same result. I tried each stick of memory individually and still got the same result.

I also tried using my roomate's power supply with the same results. He suggested that maybe the graphics card was bad and since my motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics, it may be failing to boot because there is no graphics card. Does this seem like a good possibilty?

Other than that how do I go about figuring out which component is bad?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

it may be failing to boot because there is no graphics card. Does this seem like a good possibilty?

no video card wouldn't stop the computer from booting up ,but it would not show any video picture on you monitor ! and if the compute originally worked then you had to have had a video card installed .
also you said it has a video card installed ,this one .
,PNY VCG84R2SXEB GeForce 8400 GS PCI Express 2.0 Graphics card

I would try and power on with just the CPU in the board. Most motherboards will give you a beeping error if there is no RAM. This will at least tell you that it's POSTing up to the RAM check. This will verify that your CPU and motherboard are functioning.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.