A tiny gray or brown rectanglular piece that was soldered on the motherboard has broken off. Modern day motherboards have a number of these (some in black) and they have solder on the left and right, making them silver on the ends. Can someone tell me what these are? I am considering desoldering and resoldering it onto the motherboard but read a post elsewhere where someone blew up the part when they tried to do this.

The motherboard won't power up without this piece. Discontinuation of electrical current?

Model: Toshiba A75-S1253 Notebook
Motherboard: K000019910
Processor: 2.8 Ghz (Celeron D or Pentium 4?)

Thanks!

I believe it is a surface mount capacitor. Anyone with experience in soldering these?

A tiny gray or brown rectanglular piece that was soldered on the motherboard has broken off. Modern day motherboards have a number of these (some in black) and they have solder on the left and right, making them silver on the ends. Can someone tell me what these are? I am considering desoldering and resoldering it onto the motherboard but read a post elsewhere where someone blew up the part when they tried to do this.

The motherboard won't power up without this piece. Discontinuation of electrical current?

Model: Toshiba A75-S1253 Notebook
Motherboard: K000019910
Processor: 2.8 Ghz (Celeron D or Pentium 4?)

Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.