I've a pretty standard G4 setup on OS9 and 10, but my keyboard 'goes away'. Nothing - no lights, no mouse - OSX or OS9.
Extract the keyboard USB from the back of the box and reconnect and 'bingo', back to work. So far only five or six times with 30mins or so between.
This is a home machine that is not time critical.
I don't get onto DaniWeb very often, but if anyone can tell me if this is a driver issue or something deeper, then at last, I can have a go at doing something technical. Please don't tell me the keyboard needs replacing - where's the fun in that?
(The Macs I administer at work just keep on going with so little upkeep required.)
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have the same problem with a mouse whenever I connect it to the keyboard's USB port. It doesn't happen quite often for me though - usually only after a period of inactivity.

Hello,

Do you have any USB hubs in the circuit? USB has a power sensitivity issue... each device can only draw so much power, and then you overload the bus. I have not seen this problem, but then again, if I have more than 2 USB devices up and running, I have a hub in there to supply more power to the bus to keep it happy.

Your Keyboard might be suffering from a brown out.

Christian

Hello,

Do you have any USB hubs in the circuit?

Your Keyboard might be suffering from a brown out.

Christian

Thanks Christian, but no hub here. And what is a 'brown out"?
As I spend more time thinking on this, I remember that I have been getting intermittent (don'tcha love that word) jumbling of the characters above the numbers, ie !@# etc.
My layout on this machine is super basic setup - no printer (all my work output is PDF files) - no internet connection, no peripherals except Palm and iPod docks.

Hey, that's really annoying... An hour or so after reading this thread, and never having happened before, I just experienced the same problem mentioned above. My logitech cordless optical mouse just quit. I put the computer to sleep and then woke it up but it still didn't fix it. Only after I unplugged it and then reinserted it did it start moving again.

Puzzled now,

Jeff

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.