My 6 month old laptop has needed 4 reformats so far because of disk problems and now it wont boot past the windows loading screen. i played around and i found a diganositc test that could be run through the bios and it passed everything up till one called DST short test and it failed. Thats the hard drive one saying if its ok or not right? If so should i to another format reinstall or should i demand that i payed a lot of money for my x300 and demand a new hard drive so i dont have these problems anymore? Anybody with input would be apreciated greatly! Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

My 6 month old laptop has needed 4 reformats so far because of disk problems and now it wont boot past the windows loading screen. i played around and i found a diganositc test that could be run through the bios and it passed everything up till one called DST short test and it failed. Thats the hard drive one saying if its ok or not right? If so should i to another format reinstall or should i demand that i payed a lot of money for my x300 and demand a new hard drive so i dont have these problems anymore? Anybody with input would be apreciated greatly! Thanks in advance!

im answering my own question. The test does check for a bad hard drive and mine was but it was fixable by doing a winxp cd boot and running a chkdsk which found my problems and fixed them letting me boot again. And dell offered to replace the hard drive anyways no charge if i liked! kudos dell!

Hi, I have the same problem, can you teach me how to fix it?

Gosh that was so long ago its hard to remember exactly what i did...i think i stuck my win xp disk in the drive and booted to it and at the command prompt typed chkdsk and then pressed enter to run the chkdsk program (stands for check disk). Should find and fix any problems it comes along to find...Hope this helps!

Gosh that was so long ago its hard to remember exactly what i did...i think i stuck my win xp disk in the drive and booted to it and at the command prompt typed chkdsk and then pressed enter to run the chkdsk program (stands for check disk). Should find and fix any problems it comes along to find...Hope this helps!

Boot to CD (settings to be changed in DOS to boot from CD) (sometiems AMI BIOS has the option to hit F8 and itll ask u where u want to boot from.)

run win xp boot cd and access recovery console... run chkdsk... hit y when it asks u to... another way of doing this is right click on ur hard drive and choose properties.. tools... disk check... choose both the options asking for complete scan etc.. itll then say that scan will be done when windows is restarted.. say ok.. restart...

I dont think I have a win xp disk is there anything else I can do?:confused:

Have mercy please i'm only 12 x_X

Boot to CD (settings to be changed in DOS to boot from CD) (sometiems AMI BIOS has the option to hit F8 and itll ask u where u want to boot from.)

run win xp boot cd and access recovery console... run chkdsk... hit y when it asks u to... another way of doing this is right click on ur hard drive and choose properties.. tools... disk check... choose both the options asking for complete scan etc.. itll then say that scan will be done when windows is restarted.. say ok.. restart...

my dell laptop just got this error message tonight, i run the diagnosis test and an error message pointed to the Harddrive, it said DST short test something like that.
i am running window vista ultima, so how i perform the chkdsk, since window wouldn't boot.

my dell laptop just got this error message tonight, i run the diagnosis test and an error message pointed to the Harddrive, it said DST short test something like that.
i am running window vista ultima, so how i perform the chkdsk, since window wouldn't boot.

I'm not sure but I would expect your PC or Vista came with a Vista CD. I did this on XP but would think it Vista is the same. At power on I hit F12 (may be different on your PC - computer tells you at boot up) to enter the Boot Screen. I inserted my XP CD and selected the 'boot from CD' option. The PC then started, gave me a 'Press any key to boot from CD' command. When I hit a key (I had about 5 seconds to hit a key) the PC began to boot up using the CD. Eventually (took a few minutes) I was presented with an option to hit 'R' to enter a recovery/repair mode. This initiated a command console screen and after I selected '1' for my location of the Windows Operating System I was trying to fix a prompt was given. I have also read that it may require you to enter your password. Nonetheless, I then recall typing in caps, "CHKDSK /R" (You can type 'HELP CHKDSK' to see all the options). After about an hour my disk was apparently fixed and Windows now boots up as it used to.

how it can do the same with vista? is it

hi
i was trying to delete everything on my hard drive and re install windows XP. i did this because of my computer was slow. i had done this once or twice before. i was half way through installing windows XP when a blue screen came up and yelled at me and said has to reboot... something bios setup. i rebooted and it came up as no hard drive found :( . i ran windows xp again and it i tried to finish the set up but it says windows cannot find a hard disk found press f3 to reboot. i did the diagnostic test next and DST short test failed. i ran the diagnostic tests from the dell cd and all the test came out correct. i have a dell insperion 2200. if anyone could help
Thanks Alot

if a proper DST fails, you need to replace the HDD. it means it hasn't passed it's own internal diags

So your saying i need a new hard drive pretty much

yup

can i use a external hard drive through USB?

if your system supports booting from it
but USB is much slower than ATA or SCSI, so the performance hit will be huge

do you know step by step instructions for that i get in windows installer to where i need to pick the hard drive i find the external but then it says i cant access it :'(

google it man.

hey i need one more thing i need to do cab sdk on a few files to setup some stuff i go into the command and its says to type "cabarc x
USBSTORE.IN_" i get your computer does not reconize carbac and ive tried alot thats what i get all the time
thanks

First i want to know whether you used the XP CD with Service Pack2 of with ordinary XP CD.

Many computers come with pre-loaded software. I don't have the Windows XP disk needed in order to fix this problem. Any suggestions for those without the OS disks? How to resolve the DST short test failure now?

ok, i am running vista, and getting that same no drive detected error 1000-0141. i tried reinstalling, but it isn't finding the HD to install to. no partitions or anything.

This is EXACTLY WHY it's best to have a PC custom built rather than buying one off the shelf at a store. It's CRUCIAL that you HAVE the installation cd when you buy anew PC, SO you can FIX these kind of problems when they happen (and they WILL happen), otherwise you'll find yourself right back here looking for solutions rather than HAVING the solutions IN your installation CD's. When you get a "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD) error and your PC WON'T boot, Microsoft has NO CLUE what causes it other than remove your hd cable and re-seat it (Come on man, is THAT the best they can come up with for a solution??? AND it's THEIR operating system???)
WITH the installation CD, you can run many different utilities to FIX your PC, quickly AND EASILY!! Like scandsk, chkdsk, fixboot and if all of those don't work, you can run the recovery utility using the "repair" option. If your hard drive is still working, you should NEVER have to RE-FORMAT your drive and even if you had to as a last resort, you HAVE the installation CD to be able to.
This sort of thing (selling computers WITHOUT installation CD's) ought to be illegal because it causes so much frustration and it just shouldn't be like this. I had my PC custom built with TWO hard drives, a 120 GB for my operating system and the other drive, a 320 GB ONLY for my data/applications so in the event I have an operating system problem, 1) my data isn't affected and 2) I can SIMPLY "repair my operating system" and get on with life. I strongly suggest getting your next PC that way, besides you WON'T get ALL the other pre-installed "bloatware" that you DON'T NEED and REDICULOUSLY SLOWS DOWN your PC. Your new PC will run lean and FAST!!

Dude, I appreciate the rant, but several off-the-shelf machines HAVE been shipping with OS discs for the last 5 years at least. My old Compaq laptop had it, and my new Dell has it.

Anyways, my HDD has failed (error code 2000-0146) on a Studio 1558 laptop purchased 1 week ago. Yes, 1 week. My guess is it was faulty to begin with (I didn't run any diagnostics on it when I first received it, nor did I do any backup; I did dump a lot of data on it though) and it went into failure when doing a Windows Update. Any thoughts on if this data is recoverable? Dell's shipping me a new hdd tomorrow regardless.

When I try to load up Windows 7 from the DVD, all I get is a screen with a mouse pointer, even after 30 minutes of loading (after Windows says its copied the files). Any other way to get to chkdsk?

When you get a "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD) error and your PC WON'T boot, Microsoft has NO CLUE what causes it other than remove your hd cable and re-seat it (Come on man, is THAT the best they can come up with for a solution??? AND it's THEIR operating system???)

This is totally wrong. 1st of all, BSOD's can be troubleshooted, they usually relate to drivers and hardware issues
second, install CD's and repair partitions are everywhere, especially on brandname PC's and servers.

If your hard drive is still working, you should NEVER have to RE-FORMAT your drive and even if you had to as a last resort, you HAVE the installation CD to be able to.

Reinstalling desktop versions of windows is normal practice at least once every year. This is due to the way windows registry works, getting cluttered up at some point or other.

This sort of thing (selling computers WITHOUT installation CD's) ought to be illegal because it causes so much frustration and it just shouldn't be like this.

As I said - all preinstalled systems have a way to get back to the original state. If you don't know how to use it, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I had my PC custom built with TWO hard drives, a 120 GB for my operating system and the other drive, a 320 GB ONLY for my data/applications so in the event I have an operating system problem, 1) my data isn't affected and 2) I can SIMPLY "repair my operating system" and get on with life.

Have you heard of partitioning? While having separate drives isn't a bad idea, it is not the only and ultimate solution.

I strongly suggest getting your next PC that way, besides you WON'T get ALL the other pre-installed "bloatware" that you DON'T NEED and REDICULOUSLY SLOWS DOWN your PC. Your new PC will run lean and FAST!

Have to agree here - I usually reinstall my own new systems myself, to get a clean OS. Usually also to get rid of windows and run Linux, but that's besides the point

Log on using vista cd and once it gives you a screen to select command prompt,go there and in the command prompt window,type chkdsk /f /r c:

Hello.
Im going to say this in caps so it stands out to readers.
IM USING A WINDOWS XP AND I DO NOT HAVE THE CD. IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM !!!WITHOUT!!! THE DISK

Please help.

hi my problem is the same as yours,
please can u help me!

i told you when the problem was started.
When i change my processor and heatsink thermal grease when it was completed on that time the problem was created for my laptop.
for on my computer i press the power baton it doesn't being on and then i press agin power baton and hold it for about 5/sec and then the computer being on and off and then again on and then release it.

now it is on and i can work on it.

But the problem is this way i can't on it in first press the start baton???

I had a HDD failure, or so the error messages indicated. So I bought a new 160 GB HDD to replace my old 100 GB HDD. After I did a full reinstall and got all of the updates, the failure recurred!!! So I bought another new HDD and did it all over again. And after all of that work, I got the same error message in diagnostics:

Start DST Short Test
Test Result: fail
Error Code: 1000-0141
MSG: No Drive Detected

I am 99% sure that this message occured with the other two HDD.

I am running a CHKDSK now, and I hope to repair the problem. But why is this error recurring? Is it some windows issue? A broken motherboard ( but itchecked out ok on the diagnostic tests).

looks like CHKDSK is not running. It stalled out at stage 4 of 5 32% complete, "verifying file data".

It was able to do File Verification, index Verification, Verify Security Descriptors, and USN Journal Verification.

I was able to run CHDSK successfully after my PC was power-off for 12 hours. So I am wondering if this problem has nothing to do with the HDD? I am not an expert (obviously) but I am wondering if this problem has to do with the motherboard? Is it possible that there is a loose cable? Or is it possible that the motherboard is damaged?

Does anyone have any ideas about what the cause of this problem might be?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.