Hey, im looking at buyings a new dvd burner, but I also want it to burn cd's as well. Can someone tell me if this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-151-054&depa=1 burns cd's? I think it does but I just want to make sure. Also, is there anything im leaving out, like compatability issues, or have the correct connection? Also these dvd burners on Newegg seem pretty cheap, has the price just gone down for dvd burners, or are these not quality burners? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

It does burn cd-r and cd-rw. But I don't see any software included with the drive. If you already have the software then you are set otherwise I'd look for one that includes the Nero software.

They are really dropping in price because the dual layer DVD drives are out which can burn roughly twice the amount of data on a dual layer disc. So you might want to price one of those instead and see which way you want to go.

Darrin Seats
Cornerstone Computing
http://www.cs-computing.biz

yep, that one looks good. I don't have any first hand knowledge with that brand but the reviews look good.

do they make dual layer dvd-r disc? I know they make dual layer dvd+r discs, but I was wondering if they made them for dvd-r.

do they make dual layer dvd-r disc? I know they make dual layer dvd+r discs, but I was wondering if they made them for dvd-r.

i dont believe they make the disks yet, but if they do they are extreamly over priced and not marketed yet. So getting duel layer puts you ahead of the curve haveing something that will last a little while. Besides single layer is perfect anyways right now. And you can BACK UP a dvd on a single dvd with little quality loss so dont worry about their not being duel layer disks yet

i dont believe they make the disks yet, but if they do they are extreamly over priced and not marketed yet. So getting duel layer puts you ahead of the curve haveing something that will last a little while. Besides single layer is perfect anyways right now. And you can BACK UP a dvd on a single dvd with little quality loss so dont worry about their not being duel layer disks yet

They do make DVD DL disks, but they range in price from $15 - $20, so yes they are overpriced. They should come down in proce by the end of the year to a more "reasonable" price, and within 2 years they will be as cheap as 4.7 GB DVD's. With Blueray and HDVD hitting the market soon, DL DVD's will be a thing of the past.

They do make DVD DL disks, but they range in price from $15 - $20, so yes they are overpriced. They should come down in proce by the end of the year to a more "reasonable" price, and within 2 years they will be as cheap as 4.7 GB DVD's. With Blueray and HDVD hitting the market soon, DL DVD's will be a thing of the past.

thats awesome i wasnt aware that they were available to the public yet. great to know but that means im gonna have to upgrade my first gen sony dvd+-rw now! darn!

thats awesome i wasnt aware that they were available to the public yet. great to know but that means im gonna have to upgrade my first gen sony dvd+-rw now! darn!

I've got a DL burner, had it for around 6 months. I have yet to burn a single DL disk though.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.