I own a Gateway 450ROG laptop. the problem all started two weeks ago when i was using it and a popup balloon said low virtual memory. Next time I went to start the laptop it would try and start up but I would only see a black screen, a faint gateway image, then the thing would shut down. I ordered new 256 memory for it thinking that was it but what do i know? Read on here to take the memory out and try to boot it back up with without it. I did and didn't hear a beep so does that mean my motherboard is shot out? Guess I should have went to MIT! anyway I have a new laptop, so good thing the gateway will end up being my backup.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi,
It is unlikely that the low memory message had anything to do with you current problem.
Try cleaning out all the dust from your machine, if you can strip your machine as far as you are game and blow out all dust from the fans and cooling vents.
Try booting without the main battery, and then without the mains, just the battery to see if it makes any difference.
256 MG is very small and if that is all you have your machine might be freezing regularly but not causing these problems. Hopefully you have at least 2 X 256 MG RAM sticks.
Maybe someone else here can offer some more assistance but for me if you have no joy with anything I have suggested, I would think it would be best looked at by a repair tech, make sure you get a quote first.

Hi,
It is unlikely that the low memory message had anything to do with you current problem.
Try cleaning out all the dust from your machine, if you can strip your machine as far as you are game and blow out all dust from the fans and cooling vents.
Try booting without the main battery, and then without the mains, just the battery to see if it makes any difference.
256 MG is very small and if that is all you have your machine might be freezing regularly but not causing these problems. Hopefully you have at least 2 X 256 MG RAM sticks.
Maybe someone else here can offer some more assistance but for me if you have no joy with anything I have suggested, I would think it would be best looked at by a repair tech, make sure you get a quote first.

Thanks Bob 180 I will give that a try. The machine has two slots for memory. I did purchase another 256mb of memory hoping that would fix the problem. I do have a 1GB memory stick on order. I thought if the 256 worked that I would just take the (2) 256's out and just use the 1GB stick. You are right I'm sure that the unit does need to be blown out, I purchased this computer from the co I work for and I'm sure it is time to clean it on the inside.Thank You for your input.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.