I swear, this is the 5th Sony SDM-S71 monitor i've recieved through warranty because all the ones in the past developed this odd discoloration problem. once again, this monitor has an onset of the problem. basically, the monitors will work fine until one day all the black or dark colored images on the screen turned green then later eventually turn gray (once the problem becomes more severe). upon further scrutiny, i noticed the gray has these really thin vertical lines. i used to just increase the brightness so the black wasn't dark enough to turn green, but that doesn't help anymore. well, now the problem has escalated to the point where all the medium to dark colors on my screen have this gray, green, red, cyan "matrixy" look. the discoloration sort of flickers if the color isn't too dark or too light. as of LATELY, white colors developed these thin cyan colored lines. mind you, the lines are really really thin, so for the most part the discoloration looks somewhat solid.

i actually thought it was my video card until i realized even when my monitor wasn't plugged into the computer, it was still messed up.

i don't know what to do! i'm fed up with trading this stupid thing in for warranty purposes. this thing really works a number on my eyes too. i just want to be rid of this problem. :(

if ANYONE can help, i'd be SOO thankful. btw, i've done all the typical "troubleshooting" issues and nothing helps. this issue has nothing to do with monitor settings.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi tokimonsta,
from what you describe.. its definitely a bad monitor(s).
It's not unusual for certain manufacturers to have "bad runs" of a certain component.. where there are literally thousands of brand new monitors just sitting out there in wharehouses.
Go back to the store where you bought it & demand a refund & get a different brand monitor.
Hope this helps
RGPHNX
PS- CHECK THE INTERNET.. for more info on your make & model of monitor.. if its a "bad run" .. then you can't be the only one complaining.

Thanks a lot for the advise. I actually found another post on a different forum about this monitor with the same problem.

toki, i am way in the dark here, but i do know that some lcd screens hate excessive UV and heat...we're talking lots of direct sunshine here.....the plastic layers and cells that make up the screen can warp microscopically and put an alignment pressure on the crystals. so they change, darken....and there is no way back. try it by gently pressing your finger on the screen...my simple and situation-ignorant advice is to not leave ur screen in direct sunlight.

I have the exact same problem. Mine is not under warrinty Is there no way to fix it? Do I have to send it to Sony repair?

I need help!

Thanks a lot for the advise. I actually found another post on a different forum about this monitor with the same problem.

Can you provide the link to the post you referred to? Thanks.

Sony monitors seemed dark to me overall, I went for something used and affordable to me, looking at Acer for example, I found little adjustment for the poor saturation and went to another brand. I've looked at a number of different brands recently while shopping and haven't seen one look as bad as you describe. My CRT was a generic 19" about 5 years old... it changed to a green hue as well, which was nasty... if you tapped the screen bezel, you could get the normal hues back but not for long. After looking for any loose wires internally, as the problem got worse, I wound up losing the image all together. For now that monitor just sits here. I bought that one new at $200, and both my 17" IBM and 19" Mitsubishi LCDs were bought used for $200. Overall, if you can find the same deal, it's not too bad
Not sure what I'll do with my old CRT....it's in great shape and served me well, until...

BILL

The only way I found to fix my expensive Sony S71(two years old) was to replace it with a less expensive brand. Not only did I find no mention of this type problem nor any adjustments that worked.

Sony monitors seemed dark to me overall, I went for something used and affordable to me, looking at Acer for example, I found little adjustment for the poor saturation and went to another brand. I've looked at a number of different brands recently while shopping and haven't seen one look as bad as you describe. My CRT was a generic 19" about 5 years old... it changed to a green hue as well, which was nasty... if you tapped the screen bezel, you could get the normal hues back but not for long. After looking for any loose wires internally, as the problem got worse, I wound up losing the image all together. For now that monitor just sits here. I bought that one new at $200, and both my 17" IBM and 19" Mitsubishi LCDs were bought used for $200. Overall, if you can find the same deal, it's not too bad
Not sure what I'll do with my old CRT....it's in great shape and served me well, until...

BILL

For me, the image and it's adjustments were most critical, over brand, however, I was still happy to buy a Mitsubishi product and my earlier IBM is quite dated...it fades moving away from center for example, is still working fine and also allows quite a few adjustements
In my mind, I had to buy at a low cost, do to work hours down this year, but found adjustments for the picture pretty critical on my list. With my generic 19" CRT, it's performance has never been at issue with regard to adjustments (via one multi function bezel mounted dial) or quality image. I did pine for something more portable and the 19" Mits is quite nice, though hefty
BILL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.