hey recently i reformatted and installed windows 7 home premium on my computer everything was running perfectly fine for about the first week then after that i randomly starting get a message saying " Windows detected a hard disk problem - back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk" now i know that problem doesnt really have anything to do with but thought it was best to state what i did before hand..
My hard disk and model is SeaGate ST3500418AS...
I have tried a few things to try and repair this...
- Ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r twice... but to not avail
- Downloaded Seatools and ran the S.M.A.R.T, short and long drive self test. All of which failed.
- Ran Short and long generic tests and they passed.

Please can you help me try and fix this without having to call the manufacturer and get it replaced. Plus i dont have a External Hard Drive that i can use to backup my stuff (I probably should but dont) so if i have to that will cost me more money etc
PS: i have checked their site and it is covered by warranty so that wont be a problem if i have to get it replaced
Anyways any help would be much appreciated.....

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

How old is your drive?

well i think i made my computer close to a year ago so around a year old i would say

do you download alot on this drive? I would go with the replace under warranty

if you have alot of data on the disk that you do not want to loose then you have to back it up some how, either online, connect it to another PC, borrow or buy a externam hard drive. then return the hard drive you still have warranty on it. if any of what i suggest fails here is a program you can down load to run a scan and repair if the hard drive corrupted. HDD regenerator. the full version cost around $30. i have used it to fix dying HDD but only if you have the time or another PC to connect it to. the process can be very long depending on how corrupted the HDD is.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.