I recently installed Windows 2000 and now my Hard Drive light stays on all the time and the system does not recognize my second hard drive.

No physical changes were made to the computer only installed Windows 2000.

Whats up?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

I am curious if the computer's BIOS properly registers the second hard drive, and am curious if your computer was running something else, like a linux, before turning it into a Win 2000 box. Windows 2K would recognize FAT or FAT32 as a hard drive format, but perhaps if you ran linux on the box, it might be choking on ext2 or something.

It is also possible that the hard drive is suffering from a physical problem. I have yet to run into a normal IDE drive that W2K could not work with.

Consider though:
* Is the drive SCSI? If so, did you install the SCSI driver that the OS might need to work with it?
* Is the drive SATA (Serial ATA?) That is after W2K's time... might need the driver disk.

Does WIndows show you any devices out-of-whack in the Device Manager?

Christian

Hello,

I am curious if the computer's BIOS properly registers the second hard drive, and am curious if your computer was running something else, like a linux, before turning it into a Win 2000 box. Windows 2K would recognize FAT or FAT32 as a hard drive format, but perhaps if you ran linux on the box, it might be choking on ext2 or something.

It is also possible that the hard drive is suffering from a physical problem. I have yet to run into a normal IDE drive that W2K could not work with.

Consider though:
* Is the drive SCSI? If so, did you install the SCSI driver that the OS might need to work with it?
* Is the drive SATA (Serial ATA?) That is after W2K's time... might need the driver disk.

Does WIndows show you any devices out-of-whack in the Device Manager?

Christian

Thanks for your response.

Christian,

I was running Windows ME prior to installing Widows 2000. Both Hard Drives were already installed and working fine. They have both been running fine for about six months.

I had bought a USB external Hard Drive for moving data between my son’s computer and my laptop. I could not get the USB connection to work and the Hard Drive supplier suggested that I try the drive on one of my other computers. I tried it on my laptop that was running Windows 2000 and it worked fine. The Drive supplier suggested that I upgrade to Windows XP. I will not do that for two reasons. One, I have numerous old programs that I really like that won’t run with XP and two, I do not want to further contribute to Microsoft’s strangle hold on computer operations.

No changes were made to my computer at all except to install Windows 2000. Now my Hard Drive light stays on solid all of the time and it does not recognize my second hard drive in either the Directory Tree or the “My Computer drives window. It does show it there as un unformatted drive of unknown size and ask if I want to format it. However, I have data on it that I don’t want to loose so I don’t want to do a format and loose that data.

Thanks
Steve

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.