just installed second sata hdd on my machine (jetway kocab board) but the machine wont recognise the second drive.any ideas?. the machine is running fine otherwise

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hello,

OS? Does the BIOS detect the drive? Is it a new drive, or pulled from another box?

Thanks,

Christian

ty for the reply kc0arf

my OS is win me the bios doesnt dtect the hdd

and its pulled from another box

regards
unionman

Check the jumpers on both hard drives. If both are "Master" switch your second drive to "Slave". It should be instructed on the hard drive where to put the jumper to put it as a slave.

howdo pat,
thanx for suggestion but satas dont have a jumper setting. (or do they? :cheesy: )

Oops. I guess I should have checked out a sata before saying this eh? Sorry.

howdo pat,
thanx for suggestion but satas dont have a jumper setting. (or do they? :cheesy: )

Mine have jumpers.
WD Raptors

Mine have jumpers.
WD Raptors

WD tend to include legacy bits in their drives (like the old molex power connector). Jumpers aren't necessary for SATA drives though, since there's only one per cable!

WD tend to include legacy bits in their drives (like the old molex power connector). Jumpers aren't necessary for SATA drives though, since there's only one per cable!

I got courious as to why they would put jumpers on if they weren't needed.I found this on the WD website.

Set the jumpers:

The drive has a jumper block located next to the ATA power connector. There is generally no need to change the default jumper setting in order to use the drive. The only use of this jumper block is to enable or disable power management for the drive. The drives ship in the default position with the shunt on pins 1-2 (disabled). Alternately, the jumper can be removed completely with the same result. Placing the shunt on pins 3-4 (enabled), designates that the drive will power-up in standby mode. For most users the default position should be used.

I aslo found this , I hope it helps you unionman.
I know you werent installing windows at the time. Thought maybe it was related somehow.

Problem:
The Windows setup process does not detect any hard drive when you try to install Windows 2000 or XP onto a Serial ATA hard drive.

Cause:
The Windows 2000 or XP CD does not currently contain the drivers for Serial ATA controllers.

Solution:
When starting the Windows installation process, watch the bottom of the screen for a prompt that asks you to press the F6 button to install SCSI or RAID drivers. At this point you should press F6 and install a floppy disk containing the drivers for the Serial ATA controller on your motherboard. You can also have the drive attached to a Serial ATA controller card and use the same process. The Windows installation process will install the drivers for your Serial ATA controller and recognize the hard drive so it can finish the system installation process.

I found this too.

Adding a Second Drive:

1. Make sure your drive is detected by your SATA controller.

2. Start Windows XP.

3. Once Windows has fully booted up, access Disk Management by first clicking on the Start button.

4. Select Run.

5. In the text box type diskmgmt.msc and click OK

6. When Disk Management opens, a wizard may appear entitled: Initialize and Convert Disk Wizard.

Note: You must use this wizard to write a Signature to the drive otherwise, the drive will not work with Windows XP. If the wizard does not appear, you may need to manually complete this process following the steps below:

1. Right click on the name of the drive to be initialized. (Drives are numbered as follows: drive 0 being the boot drive and drive 1-3 are all other drives. For CDs, the first CD is CD 0 the second CD 1 and so forth.)

2. Choose Initialize from the menu that appears.

3. The next screen shows the drive you selected to initialize. Make sure the drive is checked and click Next.

4. You will have the option to convert the drive from basic to dynamic storage.
Leave this unchecked and click Next.

5. Click Finish

[cheers for advice but it does'nt really help as i am running winme and it does'nt have diskmanagement. but i am going to pull the main drive and try to pick itup as master and go from there.
thanx again
ta-ta

[cheers for advice but it does'nt really help as i am running winme and it does'nt have diskmanagement. but i am going to pull the main drive and try to pick itup as master and go from there.
thanx again
ta-ta

Sorry.
Im a retard.

hey mate your not the retard, its me i never connected the power. as soon as i took the lid off i spotted MY mistake. ooops. thanx for all your help men
hope i dont have to pester you again soon ha-ha
unionman :o

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.