Hi everyone...I am new to this forum and am hoping you all can give me some guidance. I am not a tech person but love my computer and am usually able to figure stuff out as I go. Well I installed a 2nd hard drive on my computer and got it working sucessfully. yea! The next day I noted the monitor light was yellow instead of green and the screen was black. After troubleshooting, I determined that the RAM modules are now bad. Is this something that can happen when I wasn't even working on them? I was very careful not to transfer any static I thought. I tried the RAM in my other machine and that monitor came up black as well. I don't want to buy another RAM module just to see and find out that is not the answer. How can I rule out a socket failure? Any advice/direction would be appreciated!
Micheletext

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

A yellow monitor light indicates the monitor is NOT powered up, it is in standby waiting for the PC to tell it to turn on. I don't think your RAM is faulty. First try manually turning the monitor off. Power down your PC. Then turn the monitor back on. Then boot up your PC. Tell us what happens.

Hi,
I have done this several times. When I move the mouse or press a keyborad key, a message briefly comes up on the screen saying that it is in save mode (or maybe standby I can't remember for sure..I am at work). The screen goes back ti black very quickly. I tried to F8 or F8 when powering up the hard drive with no luck. Any other tips...? M

What made you think the RAM modules were bad? How did you determine that?

What operating system are you using?

When you installed the 2nd HD, and got it working, did you stay on the PC and do other things (check mail, surf, play games, etc.)?

When you left the computer, did you do a shut down, or just leave it on with a screen saver?

What type and model of monitor are you using?

From your last post, it sounds like you can boot up the PC without getting any error messages displayed. Is this correct? Could the message on the screen that you mentioned be "safe mode" indicating the operating system is booted up in the safe mode?

Have you tried taking the 2nd HD you put in, out and returning the PC to it's original configuration before the problems started?

The fact that the monitor says that its in standby/power saver mode means
-->it is in those modes
-->it isn't receiving a signal

Now as you've checked that the computer is on (are the LEDs glowing and fans spinning?) and yet you get the message, your problem lies somewhere in the CPU. Fisrtly, do you hear any beeps when you power up the computer? You should hear a single short beep. This means the POST was successful. No beep or many beeps (short and long) indicate either a loose connection or a hardware malfunction. Try starting your computer after disconnecting the new hard drive. You said that you checked your RAM sticks in another machine. Try getting that machine's RAM in your computer and see if your computer powers up. If it does, your RAM sticks are the culprit. If not, check for loose connectors on the hard drives, the optical drives, the power plug going to the motherboard. Also, ensure you have seated the RAM modules tightly. To be sure, once the RAM modules are seated tightly, you can barely see the gold connectors. Also ensure the locks on the RAM slot are in place when you install the RAM.

Hi,
On the back of the tower the diagnostic codes inferred that there was a memory issue. I also tried these mosules in my other computer, which gave me the same black screen and the yellow power light (instead of green). I am using Windows XP. After I installed the HD, I stayed on the computer for awhile, reading my e-mail and I think I played a game. I then logged off, but left my machine on. My monitor is a Dell flat screen (non-digital), sorry I don't have the specific number, I am not at home. When I turn the computer on it doesn't sound like it's booting internally and there are no beeps. The monitor screen does not change, it stays black. If I move the mouse the message "monitor in safe mode...press any key to continue" comes up for just a second and then goes away. If I press a key nothing happens.

I appreciate your thoughts! Thanks, Michele

OK. If the PC is a Dell as your monitor suggests, then you probably have 4 LED's on the back of the processor cabinet. (In my Dell, if A & B are yellow, and C & D are green, then it says the "memory failed to be sized or enabled". The corrective action is to reseat the memory sticks. For Dell PC's there is also a table of "Beep Codes", however, you say you hear no beeps, so I won't go there.

If the diagnostic LED's still suggest that you have a memory fault, then you really need to remove and reseat the memory sticks. When you replace them, carefully position them in the slot with the keyways (notches) in the correct orientation, and with two hands (fingers or thumbs, depending on the room to manuver), firmly press them into place until you hear them snap into place and the locks repositon themselves to the vertical position. Do one stick at a time starting on the inside and working out.

Then reboot. If you still have the same diagnostic LED's, then do like goldeagle2005 suggests and use memory from another PC. Let us know the results.

OK. If the PC is a Dell as your monitor suggests, then you probably have 4 LED's on the back of the processor cabinet. (In my Dell, if A & B are yellow, and C & D are green, then it says the "memory failed to be sized or enabled". The corrective action is to reseat the memory sticks. For Dell PC's there is also a table of "Beep Codes", however, you say you hear no beeps, so I won't go there.

If the diagnostic LED's still suggest that you have a memory fault, then you really need to remove and reseat the memory sticks. When you replace them, carefully position them in the slot with the keyways (notches) in the correct orientation, and with two hands (fingers or thumbs, depending on the room to manuver), firmly press them into place until you hear them snap into place and the locks repositon themselves to the vertical position. Do one stick at a time starting on the inside and working out.

Then reboot. If you still have the same diagnostic LED's, then do like goldeagle2005 suggests and use memory from another PC. Let us know the results.

Hi
I tried using the RAM from my other pc with the same result. The diagnostic light codes on the back are the same. It doesn't sound like it's booting up. I tried booting it up with none of the RAM modules in the and it gave me 2 beeps. What do you think?

You would have got an instruction manual with your computer. Can you see what the diagnostic light codes mean? See the code in the rear and compare it to the diagnostic table given in the manual.

Otherwise, I suspect a loose connection. Check to make sure you've tightly plugged in all the cables. Also, ensure all peripherals (LAN card, graphics card, modem etc) are all snugly seated in their slots.

Have you tried reading the My PC won't start - Read this first! thread? In that thread, Catweazle gives a very detailed sequence of steps to take your machine through to try to diagnose the problem component.

Have you tried reading the My PC won't start - Read this first! thread? In that thread, Catweazle gives a very detailed sequence of steps to take your machine through to try to diagnose the problem component.

I read that thread and am not sure how to proceed. I have taken the RAM out and the 2nd hard drive that I had installed. I tried RAM from my other computer (same Dell) and it doesn't work. I am just wondering if I should pursue buying more RAM to test or??? I think installing a motherboard is way over my head....help!
Michele

Try running your computer without any RAM sticks installed. If you hear 3 beeps, your motherboard is fine. If, however, you don't hear any beeps at all, your mobo is at fault.

Just to test the mobo, remove all drives (HD, CD and FD), remove all peripherals (modem, LAN etc), remove the graphics card (if you have an add on card) and also remove the RAM. Now power on the system. If you don't hear any beeps, your mobo could be shot.

If this is the case, remove the battery from your mobo (it's a flat button cell) and leave it out for about half an hour to an hour. Now reinsert the battery and power on the system (without RAM etc) and see if your mobo shows any signs of life. If not, well, you need a new one.

Try running your computer without any RAM sticks installed. If you hear 3 beeps, your motherboard is fine. If, however, you don't hear any beeps at all, your mobo is at fault.

Just to test the mobo, remove all drives (HD, CD and FD), remove all peripherals (modem, LAN etc), remove the graphics card (if you have an add on card) and also remove the RAM. Now power on the system. If you don't hear any beeps, your mobo could be shot.

If this is the case, remove the battery from your mobo (it's a flat button cell) and leave it out for about half an hour to an hour. Now reinsert the battery and power on the system (without RAM etc) and see if your mobo shows any signs of life. If not, well, you need a new one.

I tried that and when I powered on the cpu I heard 2 beeps??? Now what?

Can you tell me your computer's model number? I know its a Dell, but i need the model number.

2 beeps generally signifies a POST error. Were the beeps you heard long beeps or short beeps?

Can you tell me your computer's model number? I know its a Dell, but i need the model number.

2 beeps generally signifies a POST error. Were the beeps you heard long beeps or short beeps?

Hi
It's a Dimension 2350. I would describe the beeps as 1long one then a shorter one. Thanks for helping me!!! M

One long and one short beep signifies a motherboard issue. I suggest getting it checked by Dell. It's possible while installing the RAM modules, you inadvertently knocked an IC loose. Call Dell.

Sorry, been gone for a few days. For the Dell Dimension 2350, go to this site for a complete list of your Diagnostic Codes (lights, beeps, etc.)

If you indeed heard one long and one short, then the problem is that the memory is not being detected.

NOTE: Beeps and lights are different for different Dell models. The motherboard (based on your description of beeps) is NOT at fault.

I'd put the memory back in with out the 2nd hard drive and boot up. Listen for beeps (short & long), and also look at the diagnostic lights. Then use the charts at the site above and get back to us.

Whoops! My mistake. I guess the BIOS used in Dell systems is different from those provided by AMI or Award. Another one of the reasons why I dislike proprietary hardware.

One long and one short beep signifies a motherboard issue. I suggest getting it checked by Dell. It's possible while installing the RAM modules, you inadvertently knocked an IC loose. Call Dell.

I will try that (again). I did go through things with them and I think they determined RAM failure??? I can't rememeber exactly now...it's been a few weeks! I appreciate everyones help!! M

I appreciate everyones help!! M

No problem. That's what we're here for...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.