Hello forum ppl,
Im in the process of upgrading a computer.
Heres the new specs:
Athlon64 cpu
asrock k8upgrade 1689 motherboard
maxtor 80gig SATA hard drive.
(along with other things that arent really related to the problem)

when i tried to install windows xp with the third party SATA driver there is a list including an xp driver and an XP athlon 64 bit driver.

this is all well and good until i try to load the drivers. the 64 bit version is reported as corrupt,
I also tried the normal (32 bit) xp sata driver. This loaded ok, but when it came to installing the system files it says that the partition is not suitable for xp, no matter how many times i delete and re-partition the hard drive (it does recognise it as an 80gig hd).

I went to the asrock site and downloaded the drivers, but they seem to be the same version and also come up as corrupt.
So i dont really know what to do now.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Are you loading a 64-bit version of Windows? Is this a RAID setup, or a single drive configuration? The 64-bit driver will only work in 64-bit versions of Windows, by the way-- that could be the "corruption" Windows is telling you.

My experience has been that if you load it up just in a single-drive configuration, Windows shouldn't need any drivers to load onto it. In fact, you don't even need to go into the RAID BIOS to set up a RAID set, or anything.

My experience has been that if you load it up just in a single-drive configuration, Windows shouldn't need any drivers to load onto it. In fact, you don't even need to go into the RAID BIOS to set up a RAID set, or anything.

That would be true alc if the board had a native SATA implementation (like Intel chipsets), but many boards don't and so require drivers before Windows will recognise any connected SATA drivers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.