hello everyone. the screen on my thinkpad is giving me these verticle and horizontal lines. they are multicolored and change depending on what is going on (whether it boots by itself or if it is connected to an external monitor). I have checked it with an external monitor and the computer seems to work perfectly. Seeing as the display changes, and there are multiple colors, i dont think it is the actual LCD. if anyone has any advice on how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks to everyone for looking.

-felix

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hello everyone. the screen on my thinkpad is giving me these verticle and horizontal lines. they are multicolored and change depending on what is going on (whether it boots by itself or if it is connected to an external monitor). I have checked it with an external monitor and the computer seems to work perfectly. Seeing as the display changes, and there are multiple colors, i dont think it is the actual LCD. if anyone has any advice on how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks to everyone for looking.

What does it look like when it's booting? Can you boot to DOS from a floppy? If so, does the text look OK then?

I have what seems like the same problem. I have had it repaired, but it came right back. My repair involved a loose connection that the technician said was from opening and closing the display. It worked for a while, but has returned. I don't know what the problem is, but will be interested to learn. If I find out anything, I will post here. I will return here to see if anyone has found out anything. I did not find anything on the IBM support site for the Thinkpad 390E.

I did not find anything on the IBM support site for the Thinkpad 390E.

Try some of the other numbers you find on the unit. Like HP, IBM uses "part" numbers and "model" numbers that have no relation one to another. IBM is very good about service manuals these days. Most can be found on their site in PDF format--if you know what to look for.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.