Mary SW,

I have a optiquest V95 monitor that won't stay on, it comes on then after a few minutes the status light turns amber and the screen goes blank.
Is the monitor fried? I had the on/off button fixed but it still won't work.
Is the monitor still good, bad or just ugly?
Also if I get a new monitor could someone compare the regular versus the new LCD, Where can I get a new monitor at a good price?
PS, I'm using an old 13" monitor now that works but I'm straining my eyes, HELP!!

It might be best if the answer to my problem was emailed to me
msheeh02@eastlink.ca
Thanks from a newbie!
Mary SW

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Take your current monitor to a shop to be looked at.. it sounds like a fault with the transformer.

CRT vs LCD? LCD everytime, if you can afford it - they're crisper and clearer than the CRT... not as heavy either.

These links may help:

http://www.build-your-own-computers.com/crt-vs-lcd-monitors.html
http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/CRTvsLCD.htm

Last point to make... why didn't I e-mail you? Because someone else with the same problem may stumble over this post and find their answer... not fair if there's no reply, is it?

Take your current monitor to a shop to be looked at.. it sounds like a fault with the transformer.

CRT vs LCD? LCD everytime, if you can afford it - they're crisper and clearer than the CRT... not as heavy either.

These links may help:

http://www.build-your-own-computers.com/crt-vs-lcd-monitors.html
http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/CRTvsLCD.htm

Last point to make... why didn't I e-mail you? Because someone else with the same problem may stumble over this post and find their answer... not fair if there's no reply, is it?

Thanks for the reply to my question, I did take it to the shop, They siad they fixed it, but it still had the same problem. I paid $69.00+tx for nothing. They gave me a life time warranty but then refused to honor it. I told my friends that that shop does not honor warranties(it was written warranty too)

Go to your local trading standards office - i can't remember what its called in the US.

"

Go to your local trading standards office - i can't remember what its called in the US.

HawkeVIPER,

I took it shop in Canada, The better Business bureau here is crap, so I'm out of luck, I'll try getting the Transformer checked but I've been checking out new monitors prices on line, 17" or 19", any suggestions on good models??

P.S. I'm installing a Radeon ATI video card 7000, is it any good, I don't do gaming at all and was told that was all I needed for a card, Correct??

Thanks, Mary SW

Msheeh02@eastlink.ca

What have you currently got in the computer? If you're not going to be gaming, I would imagine that the card you have at the moment is adequate.

As far as monitors go... the old saying of 'you get what you pay for' holds true. Remember, however, that all electrical equipment has built in obsolescence... sooo, it will break eventually, and that eventually will probably be 1 day after your warranty expires.

I'm running a Taxan 17" and an NEC MultiSync LCD on this box - both of which have been good to me. =)

What have you currently got in the computer? If you're not going to be gaming, I would imagine that the card you have at the moment is adequate.

As far as monitors go... the old saying of 'you get what you pay for' holds true. Remember, however, that all electrical equipment has built in obsolescence... sooo, it will break eventually, and that eventually will probably be 1 day after your warranty expires.

I'm running a Taxan 17" and an NEC MultiSync LCD on this box - both of which have been good to me. =)

To HawkeVIPER,

The monitor I'm using now is Sooooo OLD, it's 12-13", MegaIMAGE my foot!
My old video card fried when the tech that installed it forgot the screw and I bumped the monitor cable and it fell out to bottom of CPU and fried!!
I have a borrowed one right now 'til I get the radeon ATI. I'm lost with the puny screen I've got, eye strain galore!!

Thanks for the reply, I've never heard of Traxon? I Was looking at BenQ 17"-19", Are they OK??

I just got home from work, easy day the Computers were crashed for 5 hours!

Mary SW

Mary here in the midwest so many people upgrade their monitors with LCD's and almost give their old 15-17 inch monitors away. If you want a monitor with a tube, it should be easy to check Salvation Army or some other agency that accepts this kind of donation. Don't pay more than 15 or 20 dollars. A new LCD can't be beat.17 inch or better.
A

Mary here in the midwest so many people upgrade their monitors with LCD's and almost give their old 15-17 inch monitors away. If you want a monitor with a tube, it should be easy to check Salvation Army or some other agency that accepts this kind of donation. Don't pay more than 15 or 20 dollars. A new LCD can't be beat.17 inch or better.
A

Traconbob,

Here in my town on the east coast most people give their old monitors and computers to an organization that builds computer systems for needy children and seniors on fixed budgets. I guess I'll get a new monitor and give the optiquest to LLoyd at his organization to fix for someone else who could use it.

Thanks, Mary SW

Traconbob,

Here in my town on the east coast most people give their old monitors and computers to an organization that builds computer systems for needy children and seniors on fixed budgets. I guess I'll get a new monitor and give the optiquest to LLoyd at his organization to fix for someone else who could use it.

Thanks, Mary SW

You could always try http://www.ebay.com =)

To HawkeVIPER,

The monitor I'm using now is Sooooo OLD, it's 12-13", MegaIMAGE my foot!
My old video card fried when the tech that installed it forgot the screw and I bumped the monitor cable and it fell out to bottom of CPU and fried!!
I have a borrowed one right now 'til I get the radeon ATI. I'm lost with the puny screen I've got, eye strain galore!!

Thanks for the reply, I've never heard of Traxon? I Was looking at BenQ 17"-19", Are they OK??

I just got home from work, easy day the Computers were crashed for 5 hours!

Mary SW

BenQ make damn good OEM cd drives... monitors, I couldn't give advice on - never dealt with them in that respect.

Are your computer leads earthed? If not, that would be why you blew your card - on earthed units, its almost unheard of these days -, if you are earthed... that, is way unlucky. =/

It may be just a screen saver or power saver function activating ON THE COMPUTER.

The light changes to amber if it is getting no signal from the computer.

My monitor changes to orange if the power saver is on and active. Moving the mouse brings it back in screen saver, and pressing a funny little button on the keyboard does so in power saver mode.

It could also be a faulty video card in the computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.