A couple days ago I tried to update my bios and got a failed verification error _MSI K8N neo board. No problems until I needed to restart the computer today.
The computer will start-up for about 5 seconds - just enough time to show the first 5 lines of the bios start screen, then the computer will just power off. I have inserted a bios recovery disc but the computer will turn off before it even has a chance to read the A: drive. I have tried resetting CMOS and even replaced the power supply with a known good one and still the same results.

Time for a new mobo??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You corrupted the BIOS, so you will have to get it reflashed, or replaced. The reflashing has to be done out of the computer. Check with MSI, see if you can get a replacement BIOS, or if you know what type check a BIOS upgrade place like unicore.com

You corrupted the BIOS, so you will have to get it reflashed, or replaced. The reflashing has to be done out of the computer. Check with MSI, see if you can get a replacement BIOS, or if you know what type check a BIOS upgrade place like unicore.com

Thanks,

If I just decide to buy another MOBO that is a different model/manuf. than the original one will I run into any problems? Will the OS still function okay.

Thanks,

If I just decide to buy another MOBO that is a different model/manuf. than the original one will I run into any problems? Will the OS still function okay.

Update - MSI tech support said they will send me a replacement bios chip. I assume this will fix my problem. I'm sure it will come with instructions, any words of advice on installation.

Thanks

Should have instructiions, but if not, before you remove the old one look at the chip it will have a notch on one end note this. Gentley lift chip end to end the long way, intill it comes oout of the socket. NOw before touching the new chip touch the metal on the case if it still in it, this will help discharge any static, now put the chip in noting the end notch, make sure all the pins are in the socket holes, and gently with one finger push down and seat the chip

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.