Hi guys, I have an Acer 77c monitor that I got, second-hand, from someone as a substitute for money owed, perhaps 1.5 to 2 years ago.

Ever since I have had the monitor, it has taken to, very infrequently, randomly doing what looked to me like a "degauss", and while this was pretty surprising, I didn't think much of it.

However, of recent months, the problem has worsened a great deal. The monitor started to randomly switch right off, show a black screen, and right back on again. Around this time, when the monitor would be turned off (either by me or by sleep mode) it would tick a few times.

As time went by, the switching on and off became MUCH more frequent, sometimes doing this every few minutes, sometimes turning off and back on right away (like a degauss), and sometimes staying off for at least 10 seconds - black screen. (It doesn't always do this; some days it hardly turns itself off while in use at all...only once during my writing this)

The ticking when it is intentionally turned off slowly increased and is now at a very comical amount, ticking away for up to 5 minutes. What started off as about three ticks, is now hundreds (it's at random volumes, pitches and times, so it actually sounds like some sort of strange music, and just when you think it's over, it's not even half way done...)

A few days ago, it made an alarming and loud CRACKLING sound that made me think it was going to explode! However, everything seemed just as before.

Sometimes the screen has an *attractive* yellowish tinge, and at this moment (it does this frequently) the picture is pulsating.

So, this monitor is on its deathbed, wouldn't you guys say? I've never had a monitor die on me before so I don't know what to expect. I had a TV do it but it just made a loud crack, smoked a little and was dead.

How long do you guys think it will be before this thing is an unwieldly paperweight? Also, is there any risk that this monitor might explode into my face??

Sorry about the length, thought I would be elaborative. Please offer any advice you may have.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The monitor won't explode, but it sounds to me like you need a new one. It is not really worth fixing. Sme of the possibilities of what is going on: weak HOT, internal arcing/shorts on the flyback, X-ray prot. circuit failing.
You are better off with a new monitor.

Hi guys, I have an Acer 77c... As time went by, the switching on and off became MUCH more frequent...

Bad solder connections! No big deal. Older Acer monitors do this all the time -- cold solder joints at PC board pin connectors, due to thermal cycling and physical stress. If you (or a friend) are handy with a soldering iron, it's relatively easy, and worth a try.

Go for the pin connectors (where the connectors from other boards plugs in), especially around the power supply module. Use good solder.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.