A lot of people dont like this topic but a lot of people agree with me.

Overclocking now is becoming pointless any body agree with me I talking about from Processors to Video Cards just completely pointless. Water cooling is cool as well but just not worth it no more. My buddy in LA has a water cooled system runs at 20c and my PC runs at 22c and nothing in it. I know about water cooling not going to go technical in it just saying all this is becoming pointless.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

you right

heh :-P I never overclock, not worth it 4 me

I tend to agree. I watch these people run these benchmarks, which sound all great, but numbers are numbers. Overclocking never seems to give me any noticeable boost in anything. In all honesty it does change the benchmarking numbers....

As a Pharmacist / Medical Professional we have a moto... "treat the patient not the numbers" Just because your system as a person says you have such in such a blood sugar (for example) it does not necessarily mean things are bad, they may be normal for you.

Just the same goes for you computer, if it says 1.2 GHz, an everything works, overclocking to 1.4 or 1.7 (if you are a rebel) won't change how things work...cause they are already working .... right?

Just my two cents..

Overclocking my radeon 7000 gives me way better performance. as far as system CPUs....you are right....who needs to OC a 2.2ghz cpu? programs now a days arent THAT cpu intensive that you need every little cpu cycle you can get.

I love how your talking about over clocking to 1.7GHz, lol. I looked at the date, 2003 --- I was 7 then, and now I am working on my $1600 comp to go past the 4.0GHz barrier!

Already got my 3.2Ghz hexacore running at 4.5Ghz :). Only pointless if you don't get a kick out of it.
Why pay for a processor that does 4Ghz when you can buy one that runs at 3Ghz for say, 25% less, then overclock it to 4Ghz.
Works for me :D

I love how your talking about over clocking to 1.7GHz, lol. I looked at the date, 2003 --- I was 7 then, and now I am working on my $1600 comp to go past the 4.0GHz barrier!

way back then i remember seeing video of a 1 gig amd cpu running at 3gig ,heatsinc had a Styrofoam cup filled with dry ice to cool it

Yeah. Liquid nitrogen and liquid helium are used too. Looks great in action.

Overclocking can yield a much faster computer but at a cost: Your computer amy become unstable or your cpu may just burn itself out. Your RAM may also start to write corrupted data to your hard drive.

I generally don't over-clock (the risks out way the benifits to me) but I have done it before.

Wow! This post dates back to May,31st,2002!

This is OLD!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.