hi i have recently just built a new computer.the specs are

Gigabyte K8N-sli motherboard
amd athon 64 3200 skt939 venice
2 sticks of 512mb ddr 400
40gb and 160gb ide hard drives
cheapo 500watt omni power supply
msi radeon x1300pro vid card
pioneer dvd burner

so wat happened was that the computer was running fine with windows xp but it started running slow and sometimes crashed so i figured windows was playing up or that i had a virus but i did a scan and it didnt detect anythin so i figured i would just a put a fresh copy of wndows on.

so then put the windows cd in and changed the cd rom to the first boot device and run the xp cd and it loaded up fine so i formatted the hard drive that worked but this is when problems started to occur when the setup was copying the installation files it said it could not copy some files.so then i checked the cd it was fine no scratches even installed it on a diffrent system just to be sure.so i tried it again it couldnt copy the files around the same place but got through a couple of times to where it says installing windows with the estimated time and where u fill in ur name and all that stuff but after filling in your info it does the network installation but after it says cannot copy file from cd.

i have tried it to install it about at times and the errors where around the same areas each so i was just wondering if anyone could help me with any suggestions that i could try.

thanks for ur time

check the BIOS and if you got everything fine together as it sound to me that you either drop it or the battery is not working right... how long did the
previous OS stay on after you built you Pc

check the BIOS and if you got everything fine together as it sound to me that you either drop it or the battery is not working right... how long did the
previous OS stay on after you built you Pc

its alright it was the motherboard i got it replaced today and its working with flying colours thanks anyway for your help

Do you have a second PC to copy the files to, re-copy the disc? I have had similar issues and found my original windows disc (safely stored), re-copied and presto! I think maybe my 'working copy' had some invisible scratches?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.