ok here i go, i got a thermaltake case and i want to add better fans to it then the stock ones, heres what i got, i got 2 side slots for fans, 2 front slots, 2 back slots, and one top slot, i have two 3500 rpm fans, two 2000 rpm fans, then about 8 crapy stock thermaltake fans, my question is where should i place all the fans so i could get the best airflow, like would i put the two 3500 rpms in the back and the two 2000 rpms in the front or what?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

How much noise are you willing to put up with?
Your power supply is likely to have a fan in it that sucks air away from the cpu.
The main thing you are wanting to do is provide a constant flow of fresh air through the pc so that no hot spots are given any chance to warm up.
This means that your extraction has to be more than your intake so put your two best fans on the back slots (or just one if noise is an issue) and make sure they're extracting air from inside the case and pushing it out. These are going to be the main fans you need.
As for intake fans, I would recommend at least one, but no more than two else there is going to be too much air being pushed into the case and it won't get extracted fast enough, leaving stagnant air inside which retains the heat from the pc.
A lot of pc builders use just one exhaust fan in a system as it will pull air into the case just from the vacuum effect, but I prefer another, less powerful fan, to help pull the air through.
It depends on the layout of your internals, but you want to think about channels of air flowing through your pc and make sure that they can flow without obstruction and you should be right.

should this keep my cpu cool? i got a p4 3.46ghz extreme edition...no load its 100f and under load its 130f, without the new fans installed (i get em in the mail tuesday) is that normal temp? or what

I don't know any temps in Farenheit, we work in Celcius here..
But as long as you have a constant airflow past the pc components you should be fine.
If you are worried about the cpu temp, you can always get an aftermarket heatsink and fan to help disperse the heat better. You can even have ducting leading to the cpu so that the fan on the heatsink gets cool air from outside the case instead of air being pulled through the pc, this will bring the temp down by a few degrees C as well.

well i got my 2 new fans, when idle its about 36c and under load 47c...so back to the one question...is that hot for my cpu?(i got em in celsius for you O_o)

i think thats good:) im running my cpu at full loads at 54c .... and oh just a thought.... i see your using negative pressure.... imho put filters on your intakes and seal small holes in your case:) with negative air pressure dust will surely accumulate.

ha dont worry, i got hepa air filters on my case (thermaltake is nice :-D)

Good temps, those.

I'd use the slower fans at front, as intake fans. I'd also use a decent fan as intake on the side panel. Rear and top locations are for exhaust.

Good temps, those.

I'd use the slower fans at front, as intake fans. I'd also use a decent fan as intake on the side panel. Rear and top locations are for exhaust.

what would you do in this setup...one 90mm back fan, a pci fan, and no top or side fans... i have the back as an intake and the psu as exhaust and the pci as exhaust, should i reverse something?

what would you do in this setup...one 90mm back fan, a pci fan, and no top or side fans... i have the back as an intake and the psu as exhaust and the pci as exhaust, should i reverse something?

In that circumstance I'd set the rear fan as exhaust. Then I'd start looking at ways to increase the intake at front/bottom, even if it meant modding the case. But I'd only do it if the system is suffering from heat problems ;)

well in most cases rear fans work when they are exhaust...you can add front intakes:)
front intake rear exhaust...top too should be exhaust...dont fight gravity...you'll never win:)

Ive got 3 extraction fans (2500rmp) at the back, an intake fan at the side (3000rmp), and a second intake at the front (2500rmp). Using this set up, i have managed to get my case temp down to 25oC or less. However my CPU is running at 45oC...

Some graphics cards can kick out a lot of heat, so its good to have a constant air flow around them, if you want to keep your case cool.

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread19813.html

u kno back in the day with the small CPU fans tht u got with windows 95 comps? well. i have one of those spare so i decided to use it as i had a space Fan socket on my Motherboard and i want to put it on my graphics card (FX5700 256MB) it already has a built in fan on it but its still the hottest thing (and the loudest) in my comp. so ive put it sitting on the edge of the soundcard and the graphics card so tht it has a flow going down towards the graphics card fan to improve it but the problem was tht i had nuthing to attach it with, wot could i do? would a carefully used piece of blue tac do it? or is that out of the question, wot could i use? i think i need to have this fan over the graphics card coe it does get pretty hot and wen i held it over it, it cooled it significantly

would a carefully used piece of blue tac do it? or is that out of the question, wot could i use?

You can buy brackets which hold the fans at different angles inside the case. they usualy bolt on or clip onto something like the motherboard. ive got one but i dont know where it came from...

yea thats wot i might be needing a smaller one but yes that would be a thing 4 me thank u v much :)

Danniboy.

i dont know that did u get this p[roblem solved if yes then tell me at u did

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.