I'm having a very unusual issue... It just started occuring today. When I press the power on my computer, it turns on, but no data is showing on the monitor. I have temperature fail-safes setup, so I added more thermal coolant to the CPU, but that didn't seem to be the problem. After it's turned on, it makes a clicking sound over and over, and the cd drives constantly blink, like it's restarting itself repeatedly. I'm not all that great with computers, but I need help and this seems like a good place to ask for it. If you need more info to help me, I'll be happy to oblige (I spelled that wrong)! Thanks.

* Open the case and check/reseat all cables, connectors, and cards. While you're in the case, boot the machine and listen carefully to see if you can identify the source of the clicking.

* Disconnect all but the minimum peripheral components neccessary to boot: 1 hard drive, 1 RAM module, video card. If the computer then boots, reinstall the diconnected components one at a time until you find the one that gives you trouble.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.