Can't install xp, non stop error's of can't find files. CD works fine on another comp. What other ways of installing xp can i try.

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Can't install xp, non stop error's of can't find files. CD works fine on another comp. What other ways of installing xp can i try.

thanks

use a different cdrom in you computer

have you tried swapping the other computers drive over to the one you are working on? Maybe the cd in that computer has a bad eye.

It's actually a laptop so I'm in the process of finding a drive that fits, but I don't have too many laptops to pull parts from. I was looking for a way to do it cross network????

Can you still use another drive temporarily to install/troubleshoot though? It doesnt have to fit inside the laptop so long as you can make the connections... The only other way would be to make an ISO of the windows CD, and transfer the ISO through the computers, but Im not sure if youll be able to update properly from an ISO unless it would be an upgrade in windows itself... is it an upgrade to winxp?

tried to swap with what drives i have but none work. The drives get power but I get a pre- windows error msg and the cd drive doesn't show up the in the boot sequence. Guess i'm SOL

If the laptop has USB port, try an external CD drive.

Very good call, I didn't think of that, I have an external usb 2 bay, now I goota pull out my cd drives

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.