I’m trying to reformat a PC using the Windows XP CD-ROM. The computer I am doing it on displays a message "cannot boot from CD: Code 5". Does anyone know what this means? And how can it be fixed?

Before you ask, Yes the PC is configured to boot from CD-ROM.

Cheers.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hello,

You did not mention if this was the first time XP is installed on your drive, or if you had it there before, and are re-installing. Could be something to think about.

It is possible that you have a BIOS problem, or there could be a partition problem on your HD. I would make sure the BIOS is at tle latest release level, and then boot with DOS and do a FDISK /MBR

Christian

Its a reformat, so the PC already has XP on it, but i want to get rid of it all...

It cannot be a partition problem either because the HDD I am reformating has no partitions, however there is a second HDD with partitions.

Ive tried flashing the BIOS but no joy.

I can get the PC to boot from an XP startup disk. (floppy).

Is there any way to reformat the HDD and install windows xp from a floppy startup disk?

hiya.

it sounds as if the cd rom you have has lost or corrupted the ISO image which is what allows the install of the operating system. without an ISO image the cd will be un-bootable.;)

trust me, this has happened to me.

That is a work around but what is the fix? I'm tring to install server 2003 on a machine that I need to wipe the OS out several times but I can't load it from the CD-Rom. This is an old machine (P3) that I'm using for a network class. I'm ready to unplug the floppy and zip drive in it just in case that is causing a problem. I hate to take a good networked machine and screw it up on purpose. Any thoughts? All the common BIOS stuff has been done, it gives me the error 5 message.

if you can lay your hands on another copy of the o/s try that... it could be a dodgy cd.

if theres still problems - check the hardware.. sometimes the hardware setup/configuration can cause problems with the installation of an o/s. might be simple enough as the graphics card or it could be the motherboard at fault.

if you can lay your hands on another copy of the o/s try that... it could be a dodgy cd.

if theres still problems - check the hardware.. sometimes the hardware setup/configuration can cause problems with the installation of an o/s. might be simple enough as the graphics card or it could be the motherboard at fault.

I'm leaning toward the motherboard. I've got 2 of these machines, they've come out of a tech school and they act the same way for this problem. It may be some security measure that the network geeks setup. Originally I installed XP Pro by using the floppy disk boot but I can't do that with Server 2K3. This weekend I'll have to tear the machine apart to see if there is a setting I can change or unplug to get it to boot. I could try the unplugging the BIOS battery to see if that does anything security wise. I was hoping that someone could say code 5 oh yah I know that one:)

I'm leaning toward the motherboard. I've got 2 of these machines, they've come out of a tech school and they act the same way for this problem. It may be some security measure that the network geeks setup. Originally I installed XP Pro by using the floppy disk boot but I can't do that with Server 2K3. This weekend I'll have to tear the machine apart to see if there is a setting I can change or unplug to get it to boot. I could try the unplugging the BIOS battery to see if that does anything security wise. I was hoping that someone could say code 5 oh yah I know that one:)

i'll look it up for you later. you've got me curious now..:D

I realize that I'm a bit late with the probable answer but it looks like you forgot to set "Number of loaded sectors:" from 1 to 4 in the "Boot" tab under "Enable expert settings (for advanced users only!)" when you where using Nero Burning to burn your slipstreamed disk.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.