:?: Looking for some help here.

Is it possible to have 3 hard drives on a personal computer? If so, how would I go about putting in a 3rd one?

Thanks for any help.

D

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Yes, but with mini and midi towers it is practically impossible because of the lack of space.

If you are talking about IDE drives, almost every PC has 2 IDE channels, and each channel hosts 2 drives. With SATA, you'll need at least 3 SATA channels to have 3 drivers. Some PCs have only 2 SATA jacks.

P.S.
Wrong forum.

Yes, but with mini and midi towers it is practically impossible because of the lack of space.

If you are talking about IDE drives, almost every PC has 2 IDE channels, and each channel hosts 2 drives. With SATA, you'll need at least 3 SATA channels to have 3 drivers. Some PCs have only 2 SATA jacks.

P.S.
Wrong forum.

My apologies. I'm new here. ;)

All I know is that in my computer, I have 2 hard drives already installed, and 2 CD drives. Both ribbon cables only allow 2 devices. I have the space for another hard drive (IDE), but how would I install it if there are no more slots for a ribbon cable?

My apologies. I'm new here. ;)

No problem- I've moved this to the correct forum. :)

All I know is that in my computer, I have 2 hard drives already installed, and 2 CD drives. Both ribbon cables only allow 2 devices. I have the space for another hard drive (IDE), but how would I install it if there are no more slots for a ribbon cable?

If you have the physical space to mount another drive, but both IDE channels/cables already have 2 drives on them, you will need to install an [search]Ultra ATA controller card[/search]. These are PCI add-on cards which (usually) have 2 IDE channels of their own, allowing you to connect up to 8 IDE/ATA devices total. Of course, an external Firewire or USB drive is also an option.

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated. :)

You're welcome- glad we could help :)

If you do decide to buy an ATA controller card, I'd suggest one of models made by Promise Technology.

One thing: it is common problem with on-board IDE controllers to be in conflict with add-on IDE controllers. I suggest that you road-test the PCI card before you purchase it. Just to see if both can run at the same time.

I have one UDMA 66 PCI card, and if I wanted to use it, I have to disable on-board IDE controller, which makes it redundant.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.