Hello All....Newbie here‚

I am trying to get a video card for my Dell Dimension 2400. Under the hood it's got a Pentium 4 processor, 768 MB RAM and a crummy Intel(R) 82845G video controller....This is what I need to upgrade. I've put in a ATI Radeon 9250 (512MB) video card and disabled the onboard graphics and tried to play Battledfield 2 and Medal of Honor but to no avail. Well I did find out from EA Games that that special series of card is NOT supported...oh well, so now I found that I need a 9500 or 9800 series card. However I talked to the people at ATI (the maker of the card) and the one dude there said that Battlefield 2 will not run on a PCU card....??....Is this true? Why can't I get a 9800 or 9500 series card from ATI and install that into my PCI slot? Won't that run the game? Sorry for the ignorance here...I'm more of a MAC person but am learning a lot here. Can someone enlighten me. I really want to get this Dell set up by Christmas so my kid can play MOHPA and actually have it launch and play....But I also don't want to break the bank. Can anyone recommend an economical card that will be sufficient to run these games....I don't need to go crzy here with performance...I just need to get the minumum to run it.

Thanks so much for any help here!

Concort

Hello All....Newbie here‚

I am trying to get a video card for my Dell Dimension 2400. Under the hood it's got a Pentium 4 processor, 768 MB RAM and a crummy Intel(R) 82845G video controller....This is what I need to upgrade. I've put in a ATI Radeon 9250 (512MB) video card and disabled the onboard graphics and tried to play Battledfield 2 and Medal of Honor but to no avail. Well I did find out from EA Games that that special series of card is NOT supported...oh well, so now I found that I need a 9500 or 9800 series card. However I talked to the people at ATI (the maker of the card) and the one dude there said that Battlefield 2 will not run on a PCU card....??....Is this true? Why can't I get a 9800 or 9500 series card from ATI and install that into my PCI slot? Won't that run the game? Sorry for the ignorance here...I'm more of a MAC person but am learning a lot here. Can someone enlighten me. I really want to get this Dell set up by Christmas so my kid can play MOHPA and actually have it launch and play....But I also don't want to break the bank. Can anyone recommend an economical card that will be sufficient to run these games....I don't need to go crzy here with performance...I just need to get the minumum to run it.

Thanks so much for any help here!

Concort

Hi Concort,

I have the same computer as you, and I'm also more of a mac person. PCI is really slow compared to the newer AGP or PCI-E slots, so PCI graphics cards only exist for people like us who don't have a AGP or PCI-E slot.

Actually, I'm hoping you might be able to help me. I have bought the Radoen 9250 PCi cards also, but can't get the computer to recognise it at all. Are you able to tell me how you got it to run?

thanks,

Chris

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.