Hi, i have a sony vaio pcg k415s notepad, yesterday when i try to install linux on it i wokr fine but before it finishe installation i left the system in office open and in runing condition. but when i check it in the morning its seems to dead. nothing coming only pover light is on, its blank screen, i try with RAM replac, and even with battery and power replace start up. but its of no use. same problem with blank screen without going to bios. i try to opne it up but becoz of fear i dont dare to do that. can u suggest me wat to do now... please reply as soon as possible

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The VAIO PCG k415s has a long history of LCD screen inverter failures. Is your screen white, or dead gray. The inverter costs us $72, but some charge as high as $140. Sony charges $155 to replace it at their tech center.
You can replace the inverter in other laptops such as Dell and IBM for half that.
The job is tricky enough that you should have it done by someone who has knowledge in that area, AND who can get the part, which is difficult.
Try out other failure possibilities first. Another possibility is hard drive failure, so first try booting to a floppy, and then another hard drive.

I doubt the problem has anything to do with Linux, but think through everything you did to be sure it isn't a silly mistake.

The VAIO PCG k415s has a long history of LCD screen inverter failures. Is your screen white, or dead gray. The inverter costs us $72, but some charge as high as $140. Sony charges $155 to replace it at their tech center.
You can replace the inverter in other laptops such as Dell and IBM for half that.
The job is tricky enough that you should have it done by someone who has knowledge in that area, AND who can get the part, which is difficult.
Try out other failure possibilities first. Another possibility is hard drive failure, so first try booting to a floppy, and then another hard drive.

I doubt the problem has anything to do with Linux, but think through everything you did to be sure it isn't a silly mistake.

but i try with other monitor its shows the same problem, the screen looks like same when it is in off state, i cannot even hear the sound from the laptop which it use to give, when started, to be clear my laptop situation is like it is in off mode even is start. no fan sound no nothing but only the power on light and i can eject cd rom by pressing the button.

but i try with other monitor its shows the same problem, the screen looks like same when it is in off state, i cannot even hear the sound from the laptop which it use to give, when started, to be clear my laptop situation is like it is in off mode even is start. no fan sound no nothing but only the power on light and i can eject cd rom by pressing the button.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.