Hello this is my first post and I am a complete idiot when it comes to computers. I have inherited a emachine t 1840 and was not able to use some software programs because the monitors resolution was so low. And in my blissful ignorance I purchased a new shiny lcd monitor the problem is I can't increase the resolution. My second problem is I can't get any sound out of my speakers period. I am using windows xp. I tried to find updates for drivers with no success. My question is would a new sound and video card fix my problem? How do I determine which cards are compatible with my computer? I have already started windows in safe mode and deleted drivers for video and sound. When I restart a found new hardware icon appears but is unable to find drivers with wizard. I do not have backup disk for video or sound. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Member Avatar for nephros

Hello, well a rule of a thumb in this situation is NO panic. You see all lcd monitors have a fixed resolution at which they work best, usually it is 1280x1024 for 19 inch and 1024x768 for 17 inch.

I guess that you have an integrated video card on your machine wich limits its visual performance. The max. resolution for t1840 is 2046 x 1536. http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-E-Machines-T1840~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.com?convertedToHyphens=true

Please specify what screen resolution you're willing to achieve for your machine? You usually don't wanna buy anew card to get some sound from your machine, first of all you've got to find out what the problem is: I suspect its the drivers - you've got to install the right ones.

Never rush to buy new stuff till you find out the problems with your old stuff.
You said you don't have backup drivers. What you need to do is to identify your system specs precisely and then download the appropriate drivers for video and audio.

A program called EVEREST could help you in identifying the system componenets:
1)download it (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml).
2) write down the models of your sound and video hardware
3) google the drivers for them and install them, voila.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.