It has been a while since I have been really into the hardware (or even software aspect) of computer technology, and unfortunately I am having what seem to be some hardware related issues. As of about a week ago, my computer has been running extremely slow at times, especially in the morning when I get on and it has been left on all night. It has also been giving me a windows error that says my "virtual memory is running low" and that "windows is adjusting it now," etc. Well whatever windows did doesn't seem to be working because I am getting the message increasingly more often. After the message pops up, I get a few "Progrom not responding" prompts from various programs and the computer locks up and I must reset using button. What little info I knew regarding memory types and computer hardware in general is now lost, and I call on you guys for help. Thanks a lot, and here are my specs:

- ASUS K8 Triton Series, nForce3
- AMD Athlon 64 3500+
- Seagate 80gb HD @7200rpm (about 89% full)
- Kingston ValueRam: PC2700, 512gb x 2
- ATI Radeon 9800Pro

Things I plan to try tonight:

- Complete defrag
- Full system scan (anti-virus, spyware)
- System clean-up

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The clean up is a good idea.

after that go to Start - Run type in MsConfig.

uncheck any thing you don't need running in the back groung ie quicktime,word, etc.

If your not sure check it here.

http://homecomputerrepaironline.com/startlist/html/startlist_c.html

go to control panel - system - advanced - settings in performance - advanced - virtual memory click change.now click custom and since you have 1024 megs (1 Gig) of ram multiply by 2 which gives you 2048 put that in minimum now multipy that by 2 which gives you 4096 put that in max click set.if it doesn't ask you to reboot do so anyway.

The clean up is a good idea.

after that go to Start - Run type in MsConfig.

uncheck any thing you don't need running in the back groung ie quicktime,word, etc.

If your not sure check it here.

http://homecomputerrepaironline.com/startlist/html/startlist_c.html

go to control panel - system - advanced - settings in performance - advanced - virtual memory click change.now click custom and since you have 1024 megs (1 Gig) of ram multiply by 2 which gives you 2048 put that in minimum now multipy that by 2 which gives you 4096 put that in max click set.if it doesn't ask you to reboot do so anyway.

Thanks

If you want to increase your virtual memory

Right Click on MyComputer -> Properties-> Advanced-> You can see a performance -> Settings -> Advanced Again -> You can see aVirtual Memory section, Click change and increase your memory according to your need

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.