Hi I have a Dell Inspiron 8500. The laptop will power up for 5 seconds with power light on and the numlock, caplock and scrolllock green lights are on then it switches off.
If I F10 the machine on power up the power light is on the battery light will flash the fan will then start and the DVD will power for a few seconds then nothing. But then the machine will not switch off.
Only by pulling the power supply and battery will it stop.
Please can somebody Help

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

First, couple of Q's.

F10 is for the BIOS setup?
Is there any video feedback?
Are there any beeps?
Did you try booting it up without the battery?

If you don't get any video feedback, it probably means that your VGA is busted. And VGA being integrated with mobo, it pretty much means RMA.

Worthinddave:

I’m at Dell Headquarters in Austin, Texas and I wanted to add to the thread. The previous post is correct that if the video is out and it's integrated then you’re in need of a motherboard replacement but just on the off-chance that it's the LCD or only the LCD cable I would try it with an external monitor.

Neil
Dell, Inc.
neil@dell.com

Worthinddave:

I’m at Dell Headquarters in Austin, Texas and I wanted to add to the thread. The previous post is correct that if the video is out and it's integrated then you’re in need of a motherboard replacement but just on the off-chance that it's the LCD or only the LCD cable I would try it with an external monitor.

Neil
Dell, Inc.
neil@dell.com

Hi many thanks for your reply.
I connected to an external monitor and this cured the problem
Thanks again worthinddave

First, couple of Q's.

F10 is for the BIOS setup?
Is there any video feedback?
Are there any beeps?
Did you try booting it up without the battery?

If you don't get any video feedback, it probably means that your VGA is busted. And VGA being integrated with mobo, it pretty much means RMA.

Hi many thanks for your reply I connected to an external monitor and this cured the problem. Thus I now know that the LCD is busted
Many thanks worthiddave

No problem. I would get the keyboard out of the way and reseat the LCD's ribbon cable. It's possible that the LCD is ok and the cable just somehow worked itself loose.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.