Hi
I have some extra sticks of RAM that I want to use in a friends computer that requires :
3.3V, synchronous, 168-pin, unbuffered, 133 MHz non-parity SDRAM.

The extra RAM that I have is:
3.3V, synchronous, 168-pin, unbuffered, 133 MHz, non-parity ECC SDRAM (PC133 CL3 SDRAM).

Can anyone tell me if the "ECC" and "CL3" bits make a difference? Any help would be much appreciated. TIA.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

ECC is error correcting RAM which typically was found in servers and is slower because of the extra chip monitoring the others. Motherboards that run on PC133 could be picky about what RAM they would like to see, the cas latency and voltage should be ok but you may have a problem with the ECC. Another problem was with the density, some motherboards like MSI didn't like high density modules. Try it and see, it won't hurt anything.

Thanks dcc. That is very helpful info so I will give it a go then. I was worried it might stuff the motherboard but sounds like its safe to try it out anyway. Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.