I was wondering why I cant get close to the max capability speed of 3700 MHz. I get around 3255 MHz and after that It wants to shut down.

Motherboard Information

Motherboard

ManufacturerASUSTeK Computer INC.

Product NameM2N-SLI DELUXE

Version1.XX

BIOS

VendorPhoenix Technologies, LTD

BIOS VersionASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1102

BIOS Release Date06/20/2007

BIOS ROM Size512 KBytes

CPU

Socket DesignationSocket AM2

ManufacturerAMD

VersionAMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

Supported Voltage1.3 v

External Clock217 MHz

Max Speed3700 MHz

Current Speed3255 MHz

Memory

Socket DesignationDIMM_B1

Current Speed800 MHz

Memory TypeUnknown

Installed Size1024 MBytes

Socket DesignationDIMM_B2

Current SpeedUnknown

Memory TypeUnknown

Installed SizeNo Memory Installed

Socket DesignationDIMM_A1

Current Speed800 MHz

Memory TypeUnknown

Installed Size1024 MBytes

Socket DesignationDIMM_A2

Current SpeedUnknown

Memory TypeUnknown

Installed SizeNo Memory Installed

Tower
CASECOOLERMASMaster
MotherBoard
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
Processor
AMD|A64 X2 6000 3.0G AM2 2x1M R 1
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
Speed: 3.37 MHz
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
Speed: 3.37 MHz
Power Supply
PSU OCZ|OCZ700GXSSLI 700W
Memory
x2=1G|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P800R22GK
Brand OCZ Series Platinum Revision 2 Model OCZ2P800R22GK Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Tech Spec Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB) Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Cas Latency 4 Timing 4-4-4-15 Voltage 1.9V - 2.1V Heat Spreader Yes Features Platinum Mirrored XTC Heatspreader
ATI CrossFire Certified
OCZ Enhanced Latency Technology Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory
Video
x2=VGA EVGA 7600GT 256mb
Sound
E-MU USB AUDIO INTFCE
Monitor
HP Pavillion M90
Operating system
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

This coulld be as far as she goes. There's a bloke HERE who didn't quite reach your 3255 after upping the voltage a bit.

With that in mind, you could try increasing the cpu voltage by a tiny ammount (the smallest increment you can) and up the FSB (or HTT if you're pedantic) a little, but I'd be very careful. How hot is it at the moment, because those chips run pretty hot, or so I've heard. Increasing the vCore may not be a good idea if it's already hot.

With a multiplier of 15 (3,225/217) you'd need to get the bus (HTT) up to 246 to get 3,700. That's a long way to go. To do this you may need to tweak the LDT, which is beyond my understanding (but I hear you can fubar your OS by messing with it). I've never overclocked a 64 (only an old Socket A).

Your RAM is certainly not letting you down, it has pleanty of room to move upwards.

A dedicated overclockers forum might be more useful.

commented: The ram info was very helpful,,,, I got a lot of speed just from adjusting this. +1

Hey man, thanks for the tip,,,, I added two more fans to help with the heat up problems if any at all. The ram suggestion,,, I got more speed, but where could I learn more on upping the ram? I believe that is where I need to start.

Your RAM can run at 800Mhz + overclock. I'm only going from what I've read (never clocked an AMD 64), but I think your RAM's speed is the system clock (217) multiplied by the HTT (3x or 4x commonly) times the RAM divider (1:1 probably). So it could be at 651 or 868. This is something to look at when raising the system clock, but I strongly suggest you read up some overcloking forums before messing with HTT.

Have a look at this post, the 4th one by King Cody to see the basic terms (although this is for a slower machine).

This looks like it might be helpful.

Personally I can't understand how the HTT and ram divider inter-relate (both seem to determine the RAM speed). On a normal system RAM is just FSB times 2 times the divider, but this HTT thing is new to me.

Measure twice, clock once.

Enjoy your hours of reading ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.