Hey all, I'm in the process of choosing parts for a new system I plan to build, but I always get horribly confused when it comes to choosing RAM. I'm planning on getting an AMD 64 3800+ processor. My first question is would it be better to take advantage of the AM2 platform so I can use DDR2 memory, or should I stick with 939 to save some money. Second, what's a good memory speed to pair with this processor? (I don't want to blow a bunch of money on expensive memory only to learn it has to run at a slower speed to work with my system :P)

Thanks for your help

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What memory you choose is dependant on the type of motherboard not CPU. It depends on the make, model & bus speed. What motherboard do you have?:?:

What memory you choose is dependant on the type of motherboard not CPU. It depends on the make, model & bus speed. What motherboard do you have?:?:

Sorry I should probably clarify. I meant that I am currently deciding between an AM2 3800+, an AM2 mobo(most likelyhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131022&ATT=13-131-022&CMP=OTC-d3alt1me ), and DDR2 RAM and a 939 3800+, a 939 mobo(DFI Lanparty Ultra), and DDR RAM. My question is what is a good memory speed to pair with that CPU in the $100-$200 price range, and is it worth the extra money to switch to an AM2 mobo with faster DDR2 RAM.

Thanks for your help

DDR2 Ram isnt that much faster, if any at all. It may appear so because they have "faster clock rates", but the fact that most DDR2 ram has such high latencies, they about equal out with DDR ram with lower latencies. However, they have been improving on the manufacturing of DDR2 ram to get its latencies down lower. If you plan too keep the system for a while and upgrade, i would suggest to get DDR2. However, if you plan to build whole new systems every few years, save the money and get some CL 2.0 DDR.

DDR2 Ram isnt that much faster, if any at all. It may appear so because they have "faster clock rates", but the fact that most DDR2 ram has such high latencies, they about equal out with DDR ram with lower latencies. However, they have been improving on the manufacturing of DDR2 ram to get its latencies down lower. If you plan too keep the system for a while and upgrade, i would suggest to get DDR2. However, if you plan to build whole new systems every few years, save the money and get some CL 2.0 DDR.

Thanks for your advice. Would DDR400 memory with 2.0 latency be sufficient for a 3800+? Or should I be looking for something slightly faster.

Nope that sounds perfect. You really cant get faster than that. Just make sure you use dual channel memory and you should be set :)

Alright thanks for the help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.