hey guyz

i have this little problem that i cant figure out , and frankly its very irritating i was woundering of u guyz could take a look and tell me whats the problem or how to resolve the it. i built my second extreme low budget pc for lan partys and i would only use it it on occasions i have another beast thats my main rig, but although the specs of the low budget is'nt to bad its running EXTREMLY slow and i mean very slow :-

[B]specs[/B]

intel core 2 duo e4500/2mb/800mhz
intel dg31pr mobo suports up to 1333fsb
1gig corsair ram 512x2 667mhz
80gig sata /seagate /7200rpm
ati x1550 gfx 512mb
500watt /kmex PSU with 1800mm fan
mercury matx /black case
cooling - zalman cnps cpu cooler
3 thermaltake case fans running at 2800rpm.
windows xp /sp2/32bit OS

now its not amazing but its ok for me as a secondary system, heres the problem its VERY slow , now ive tried everything from formating , reinstalling xp and vista - no luck ive tried i changed the psu with a tt 750watt - no luck i changed my hdd- - no luck i got a 1 gig stick and stil no change , now i though maybe it was the mb tht it didnt suport the c2d fully , but it did it even supots the quad and the mb is new and has no probs it supports the ram and everything , the ram runs at the speed tht it should so theres no prob there the cpu runs 2.2per core like it should , the hdd has no problems the gfx if good and the when it comes to heat my pc is far from it , the cpu stays idle at 25 and the mb around 32 to 39 thts ok [ no and sorry for making this very long its not the c2d its not the mb, its not the ram, its not the hdd or gfx or psu and its not from the os ............. so what is it please help i cant figure it out. Thanks in advance

oh, and btw its runs as slow as a p3 well just a little faster but its still slow. thx ;)

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

have you installed the chipset drivers?

drivers. firmware.

yes i have , i installed all the drivers , and i also updated the bios - still no change. thx

space on hdd? anything in the logs?

nop, ive got 80gigs and ive only used up 9GB and the hdd is clean i defragment it and i also checked for erros , nothings wrong with it. thx

its quite weird actually to why this happens a c2d and gig or ram is good enough for pc to run smoothly , this is very frustrating coz it lags alot too and its very slow [ i would apreciate it if some1 could help me with this . thx in advance

you probably need some kind of a diagnostic utility to test the PC

OH , i just found out that my c2d which is suposed to run at 2.2 per core is actually runing at 1.2 :@ wtf , i already disabled eist and i checked and enabled again and its still at 1.2 , well i guess that this is the prob all i need now is to make it run at its full speed , i would apreciate any help thx

and btw the reason i didnt know about this is that the tool i was using for the c2d speed was bullshit! , i just checked another 1 now and its telling me 1.2

So basically i just need to make the procesor run at full speed and that wil solve the issue , or atleast thats wat i think coz i didnt find any other problem.

hold down the windows key and hit the pause / break key. what does the cpu speed show up as there?

Since u assemble it check and recheck your BIOS settings if its an intel board there is a setting there which disables/enables the cores as well as with any motherboard check core settings

junt

turn of sdpeedstep

Has to be the BIOS doesn't it?

If you can't find any settings in there to help you (auto multiplier etc.), maybe try the newest BIOS...

well i did the hold down and pause thing and the speed just bumped up by .3mhz and then when back to 1.2ghz ,thanks

Yes , i disabled the single core setting so tht it will run a mutlicore, and i enabled to see if tht would change and it didn't / i couldnt find speedstep in the bios but there is eist which i think is the same thing and i disbaled it -no change and then i enabled it and still no change/ yea i also do think thts its the bios coz its the thing thts controling the procesesor but there's nothing there tht i havenet checked over and over again - nothing seemed to work ( i downloaded the latest version of my bios which is the 2008 version but this was before like the first day i built this pc , thanks Jbennet, junt and the new normal for your help guyz i appreciate it.

Looks like this person had the same issue (no solution though): http://tinyurl.com/yw9ghx

I think your multiplier is being set to 6 (6 x 200 = 1,200), while it should be 11 (11 x 200 = 2,200). You can confirm this using CPUz, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU-Z , I'd link it but their site's down at the mo'
If your multiplier is being changed from 6 to 11, this will show it happening (a nice, free, compact program).

Perhaps try loading the BIOS' optimized defaults...

Looks like this person had the same issue (no solution though): http://tinyurl.com/yw9ghx

I think your multiplier is being set to 6 (6 x 200 = 1,200), while it should be 11 (11 x 200 = 2,200). You can confirm this using CPUz, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU-Z , I'd link it but their site's down at the mo'
If your multiplier is being changed from 6 to 11, this will show it happening (a nice, free, compact program).

Perhaps try loading the BIOS' optimized defaults...

hi

yes, my multiplier is being set at 6 and im using cpuz , thanks

please DO NOT play around with thje multipler unless you know what you are doing or you may kill your machine

please DO NOT play around with thje multipler unless you know what you are doing or you may kill your machine

no dude i didnt play around with it i cant there's no option to do that and i was just telling there aother dude that using cpuz my multplyer was 6 , chill man

was just warning you

was just warning you

well man i wasnt angry or anything , and i ment no offence when i said ''chill'' :)

If you leave CPUz open and start some programs, you might see your multiplier change from 6 to 11 and back again. If so, then you don't really have a problem...

Did you try loading the 'optimized defaults'?

jbennet: CPUz is just a diagnostic, I don't think you can change anything with it. (better to be safe than smoking though, lol)

yea it does change that becoz when the pc is in idle and dosent need alot of speed it clocks down , and when i open stuff it goes to 2.2 but only for a few secs and only sometimes , so basically its like im runing a 1.2ghz c2d which is really creating alot of lag and more load time then it would usally take for 2.2ghz at full speed, I blame intel those bastards , thanks

hi
i was woundering guyz y dont i just OC it and get over it and ive got a gd cpu cooler so i can take it even further but ive tried lots and lots of stuff but like 99% of them dont suport my mobo and intels oc' utilty is not compatible either , if u could just tell me a good oc' freeware i will check it out , thanks alot.
and btw if ur woundering abt the other 1% it wasent freeware so even when i ajusted the core voltage , speed, and fsb it reset after i restart and intels bios is world reknowned for its disliking of oc , excluding the extreme series and guyz im sorry for annoying u , but i ask if u could sugest a good freeware optimization tool , thank you very much

speed, and fsb it reset after i restart and intels bios is world reknowned for its disliking of oc , excluding the extreme series

thats wierd

ive overclocked my Pentium 4 HT Extreme to around 4ghz before

yea it is. none of the softwares seem to support my mb which is 31 chipset maybe coz its a little new, i duno ''i got a intel 630 running @3.7Ghz with 3rd party cooling but althogh i adusted the voltage and front side bus to a very stablized setting it didnt stay stable, but that was then. now im using My q66 runing at 3Ghz with liquid cooling and everything is stable , but now for a core 2 duo with this crappy dg31pr i cant seem to even unlock the settings , thanks

I'm not all that knowledgeable about CoreDuo OC software, sorry.

BIOS is usually the best place if it's got the options and you know what you're doing.
Have you tried pressing "Control + F1" to unlock the BIOS' advanced features?

If clocking, use TAT (thermal analysis tool), it's one of the better ones for monitoring cores apparently.

Oh yeah, this page might interest you (not useful, just interesting) http://tinyurl.com/3bbhna

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.