Hi,
I have a (about) 5 year old OEM U.S. Robotics v.90 modem Have never been able to update the drivers..Just was wondering, what would a new modem, or should I say how would a new modem be better? Is the technology better, now, what advantages to a new one?
No chance of getting hi-speed where I am, so it's dial-up modem.....I'd really appreciate everyone's opinions. Thanks
George

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

v.92 is a later version you can upgrade I would if the modem v.92 is only like $5 at a local store but, otherwise not worth spending the money. Just curious what city/state you live in?

If you're stuck with dial up, then you owe it to yourself to get a decent, external V92 modem.

Beats the hell out of any crappy internal modem, with a more stable connection and usually marginally better connections speeds.

ok, why would external be better? sounds interesting, but also want to know about is there a way to hook up two computers so we can both be on dialup at the same time? I dont use aol, just a local isp..

An external modem performs all its functions in hardware. All your system needs to deal with is the actual content of what's being transmitted, and the control instructions being communicated between machine and modem.

An internal modem, on the other hand, is generally a 'software modem'. There is a basic set of components contained on the card, but most of the modem operations are carried out in software on your system. Less efficient, more chances of problems creeping in. Having all the work performed by the modem's own hardware is a much more sophisticated way to do things.

Obviously, an external modem can't do anything to overcome poor line quality or the interference caused by a jumble of connectors, double adaptors and other devices in your home, but it will virtually eliminate all the potential connection problems related to the PC.

As a result, a more stable connection, and slightly increased connection speeds. And let's face it, when you are trying to operate with download speeds hitting about 3 or 4K, then a slight increase can mean a lot!

Definitely worth the extra cost, and if dial-up is what you're stuck with, it's an essential.

When buying a internal modem ,ask for a hardware one !they sell them here at local computer store for the folks who live out in the country area ,out side of town!

i was always wondering what the difference between an hsf and an hcf modem was... any ideas?

not really sure but i think they are just different chipsets but are both software modems .

Hi,
I live north of Montreal in the country..no high speed..

I recently put in call forwarding and something called Internet Call Manager(your call is forwarded to a number and you can either take the call or play a message or ignore. This is when you are on the internet. Now my computer goes online by itself. This has happened5 times in the last 2 days. My modem settings are the same as always.....any idea what could be causing this...coincidence-because of what I just added?????modem could be going bad?????I am getting frustrated.
Thanks
George
p.s. I could be outside and go to make a phone call, and the computer would have gone online by itself.

When you click on yor shortcut to go online does it auto dial ordo you have to hit connect ,if yes then oncheck auto connect.
You may have a spyware dialer ,that could be dialing a long distant # so you better get it looked at ,go to the security fourm and post a hijackthislog for review .
Get hijack here and post log on the Security section !
Download 'Hijack This!'.http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-file-328.html
Unzip to a permanent folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.

Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Security ,http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum64.html

I unchecked "connect automatically"...and I am going to do the HijackThis program...will post later..Thanks.

I am wondering now if my connect automatically button was checked, that when I used the Call Manager, and pressed answer my modem tried to connect again........Thanks, alot
George

Hi,
I posted my info in the Security forum......
George

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.