Hi all,

I have a 21" Dell Ul;trascan monitor which recently leaving 'shadows' or 'stains' on screen. I called our IT guys to check it out and they pronounced it past it's sell by date. They just delivered me a new one this morning - this time it's a Samsung SyncMaster 1100DF. I got it all set up and guess what - yep, same problem.....

Any ideas what could be wrong? Could it be the PC causing the problem?

I sit quite close to power supply cabinet. Might that be the cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kieran

aliriaz commented: hello +0

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi again,

I just found out that is isn't the power supply that's causing the problem. Apparently it's most likely the graphics card that's causing it.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I have a 21" Dell Ul;trascan monitor which recently leaving 'shadows' or 'stains' on screen. I called our IT guys to check it out and they pronounced it past it's sell by date.
Any ideas what could be wrong? Could it be the PC causing the problem?

If it's not the monitor (per your second post), it could be either the cable (did it change with the new monitor?) or the video card itself.

What you are describing is (I think) what a tech would call ringing, a series (often multiple) of fringes or lines to one side of sharp features on the screen such as the vertical edges of text letters or windows. This usually indicates one or more bad ground contacts (cable shield ground or video signal returns), hence the question about the cable. If the connector on the back of the video card has been stressed or was poorly soldered, one or more of the ground contacts may have pulled loose from the video-card printed circuit board (PCB), causing similar symptoms.

Also possible, though less likely, is a bad electrolytic capacitor on the vid-card or motherboard. These act as power filters -- when they go bad, you would see smearing or ringing in the video -- and are susceptible to drying out due to heat.

Try degausing the monitor, if a magnetic field or any kind of magnet was next to the monitor is can cause distortions on the screen and degausing it will fix the problem. Use the menu on the monitor itself and you should see either "Degaus" listed or a symbol that looks like a horseshoe magnet you should select that and the screen will shake a second or two then probably be back to normal. If that fixes it then something magnetic cause the problem, some name badges use magnets to hold them on and if you have one then leaned over the monitor in any way it may be the cause of the distortion- I've seen that before.

Try degaussing the monitor, if a magnetic field or any kind of magnet was next to the monitor is can cause distortions on the screen and degaussing it will fix the problem.

Not if the distorting field is still present, likely if the problem affects two monitors in the same location. Shadows and off-color areas are usually caused by outside magnetic fields (especially if flickering or varying distortion is involved), often AC transformers. Typical sources include the ballast in a flourescent desk lamp, "wall wart" power cubes in a nearby power strip, small fans, and AC-operated desk clocks or radios. Many of these devices produce magnetic fields even when turned off; large-screen monitors are more susceptible to this.

Not if the distorting field is still present, likely if the problem affects two monitors in the same location. Shadows and off-color areas are usually caused by outside magnetic fields (especially if flickering or varying distortion is involved), often AC transformers. Typical sources include the ballast in a flourescent desk lamp, "wall wart" power cubes in a nearby power strip, small fans, and AC-operated desk clocks or radios. Many of these devices produce magnetic fields even when turned off; large-screen monitors are more susceptible to this.

Then the solution to their problem may be to make sure no electronic devices are near the monitor other than the pc and degaus it, either way if a magnetic field caused the problem if she degaused it it should at least change the appearance of the distortion- it may still be on the screen but it may have moved from the original location and showing that a magnetic field is still present by the monitor.

If the IT guys are handy and your pc is identical to others in your area have them swap your video card and see if that is the problem.

when i open my computer. my monitor is ok and after few second its become blinking then ok then again binkling then ok?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.