I have a tnt2 32mb agp card. works fine, but cant handle newer games.
So ive purchased a fx5200 by pny (pci card).
I want to run both cards, but i made a silly mistake when installing the new card.
I kept my tnt2 in ( as primary)
I installed the fx5200 and windows installed its default drivers for the card.
Knowing that there are newer better drivers available on the cd that came with the card I installed them. installation went fine as far as I could tell, no error messages etc. so i set my default monitor to the pci card, and rebooted.
Problem is that windows didn’t load the drivers from the cd for the fx5200. it updated the drivers i had for the tnt2 :sad:

Now when I boot with both cards inserted, I see 3 black outputs ( 1 from agp, and 2 from pci)

If the fx5200 is installed only I get 2 black outputs.

If the tnt2 is installed only, I get my normal output.

Is it possible to remove the drivers for the fx5200 without the card being physically installed?

Also how can I go about installing drivers for both cards now? The driver installation utility for nvida cards automatically detects the tnt2.
Help is much appreciated!

Harvy

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

please ignore my stupidity, just thought of something called safemode to uninstall the drivers.

Also how can I go about installing drivers for both cards now? The driver installation utility for nvida cards automatically detects the tnt2.
Help is much appreciated!

Harvy

Tho i still need help with this!

Why do you want to run both cards? Dual monitor support?

well truthfully i just dont trust the pci card yet, had a HIS9200se card and it kept playin games, only way i could use the pc was with the tnt2. Once the 5200 is workin fine ill get rid of the tnt2.

The 5200 supports dual monitors as it is ;-)

Managed to solve the problem tho, i installed both cards, and booted into safe mode. removed the drivers for the 5200.

Booted back into windows with only the 5200 installed, which made the driver utillity find only the new card and installed drivers, restarted etc.

Once it was up and running, put the tnt2 back in and booted into windows, and hey presto!
Both cards are workin at the moment.

Must say that the 5200 is running alot smoother then the 9200se i had previously!

NFS2underground looks realllly good, and i can finally play halflife counterstrike with d3d!

Cheers for the help on the fourm, completl forgot about safe mode!

Did you remove the TNT2 drivers from add/remove programs before installing the 9200SE? ;)

Mixing drivers is a receipe for disaster, especially when dealing with chipsets from two different manufacturers!

And speaking from experience, I'd think a PCI card would be more stable than an AGP equivalent.

with the 9200se i had to use the tnt2 for my second monitor ( 9200se had vga, tv and dvi and i didnt have a dvi converter handy).

it was doin silly things. For example if the pc was running for a while, and was restarted, the card wouldnt be found by windows or by bios. ie a warm card was a non responsive card.

Also the display would sometimes freeze, and cause system reboots etc.
tried with fresh installs witout the tnt2 aswell, no joy. sent it back and got the 5200 instead :-)

Bother, a dodgy card. At least you're sorted now!

By the way, I recommend OpenGL mode with Counterstrike (unless you mean CS: Source, then Direct3D is your only choice!) - the graphics engine was originally designed for it.

And speaking from experience, I'd think a PCI card would be more stable than an AGP equivalent.

IT prob is, but the tnt2 has been in the system for many years, so i know it works. Prob makes no difference but it keeps my mind at rest :cheesy:

Bother, a dodgy card. At least you're sorted now!

By the way, I recommend OpenGL mode with Counterstrike (unless you mean CS: Source, then Direct3D is your only choice!) - the graphics engine was originally designed for it.

For some reason when i changed the settings to openGL in counterstrike it restarted and gave me a message to say the card didnt support it :o prob just matter of installing the openGL soft?

For some reason when i changed the settings to openGL in counterstrike it restarted and gave me a message to say the card didnt support it :o prob just matter of installing the openGL soft?

Make sure you have the latest drivers from Nvidia's website.

Also, when you first choose OpenGL, it alt-tabs you do the warning page regardless of whether you have the right drivers or not. Head back in and you should be able to select it.

tried to select opengl last night, selected ok, and set screan size to 1024x what ever, and max colour and it accepted it, but i couldnt test it coz my isp went down so no connection to play on :cry: Will give it a go again tonight!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.