I really have no clue about how to install a harddrive. Im not looking at a simple plug n play... here is what I am trying to do. I am building my own computer and I am buying a new harddrive. I want to install XP Pro on it. Can I just plug it up throw in the XP Pro cd an install or is it more complicated then that? Then if I want to copy games or if I can office to it from my hardrive now which has XP Home on it, can I do that, if so how?

Thankyou,
Jason

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Your sentence is hard to understand.

"Then if I want to copy games or if I can office to it from my hardrive now which has XP Home on it, can I do that, if so how?"

Installing a HD is easy make sure one is master and one is set as slave.

Now just stick with one OS and yes pretty much pop in the CD and your set and done. Next Next Next Next Next thank you for installing Windows XP Professional

Ok let me try to explain this better. I am building a new computer, but I am keeping this one I am using now. I want to copy programs, games, and microsoft office over to my new harddrive but I am intalling XP Pro on it and the computer I am using now had XP Home. But the harddrive comes unformatted so how do I even put XP Pro on the new one and move programs from one harddrive to the other? Also can I copy games and microsoft office to the new harddrive without the install cd's?

I do not want to copy XP Home on to my new harddrive because it has been corrupted with Gateway, and I do not want my new computer to be branded by some computer manufactor, hence why I am installing XP Pro only on the new harddrive and not the computer I am using now.

Ok let me try to explain this better. I am building a new computer, but I am keeping this one I am using now. I want to copy programs, games, and microsoft office over to my new harddrive but I am intalling XP Pro on it and the computer I am using now had XP Home.

1. Once you've installed XP Pro on the new computer, you will have to network the 2 comps together and set up filesharing in order to transfer data to the new computer. The fact that one is running XP Home and the other is running Pro doesn't make a difference- they'll be able to "talk" to each other. Another option would be to put the old hard drive into the new system as a slave drive (once you've installed Pro, obviously) and copy the files from the old drive to the new one.

2. You will not be able to simply copy most pre-installed applications on the old computer over to the new one. They need to be reinstalled on the new comp in order to (among other things) have their proper entries written into the new system's Registry.

But the harddrive comes unformatted so how do I even put XP Pro on the new one...

The formatting is part of the installation process; you just install the hard drive and then boot from the install CD.

Thanks for all the help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.