Hello
Iv been a comptuer tech for a few years now and im posting this thread to see if any one has any ideas. Yesterday it was lighting very bad and my brothers house got struck by lighting, and his computer went out. He told me what happened and i assumed that he blew it up. But when i got there i opened his computer and the motherboards 5V Light was still on saying it was gettin power. Then i also hit the test swicth on the side of the power supply and it gave power to all the componets. But the when i go to turn on the computer nothing happends no power. I look at the componets and saw no burn marks and i dident smell anything weird so im a lil confused. i am taking the CMOS battery out right now to let the mother board reset and see if that helps. I cant figure out what happened to the swicth.

Let me know if yall know any thing.
TJ

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Did you solve the problem by removing the cmos battery?

No luck on the CMOS battery, I really have no idea what happend.

Any ideas?

TJ

Have any microchips or capacitors blown? If so your problem lies there

i check the capacitors when i first opend it up, Thats how i found that test swicth on the power box but i think i may go back and check them again. I think the mother board is shot even tho it is still reciving power i think that it got fried anyway. Well if any one else has any ideas let me know and Thank you all very much for your intrest.

Thanks
TJ

If nothing else works, replacing connectors trying an old psu etc. I would advice getting a new motherboard.

Hey guys i just want to let you know i found the problem, I found a burn mark next to one of the circuts on them mother board., I put my finger on it and pressed the test button and "wow i woke up". Yep i got juiced(Stupid Me). So i just want to say thank you all for your concern but i foundthe problem and thanks to that a burnt finger.

Well thank you all
TJ

was he dialup by any chance?

i know lots of people end up getting thier PCI buses fried because the spike goes down the phone line.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.