Greetings to the Group - I started getting an error with my system and would appreciate some help. I get an error NV4_DISP on the blue screen saying Windows is shutting down account of this error and is dumping my memory etc. The error also states that this driver is stuck in a loop and the device or the driver has a problem etc. I downloaded another driver from Nvidia website, w2kxp6693_whql, but it hasn't helped as the error is the same. I only get this when trying to run the two sims, MS Flight Sim and MS Train Sim. After running in Safe Mode, I can re-boot and all is well unless I try to run these two sims. Here is part of my system information and would appreciate some help so I can solve this problem. I have been using these two sims on this system for a couple of years. The only new change recently is a new DVD RW drive to replace a defective one. I don't want to buy another video card right now, but I need this one to work for a while.

Frog

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JIM-9E6ED00C526
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1991 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7V400-MX SE ACPI BIOS Revision 1002, 1/17/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = " 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name JIM-9E6ED00C526\Administrator
Time Zone China Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 224.98 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.97 GB
Page File D:\pagefile.sys

Name NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation)
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1\4&1FEB96E4&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation)
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.5673
INF File nv4_disp.inf (nv4_NV3x section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xE4000000-0xE5FFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys ( 6.14.10.5673, 1.81 MB (1,897,408 bytes), 8/14/2007 5:17 AM)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Update and download your video card driver here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html

Driver Installation Hints:

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading the driver.

Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the driver. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Before installing new driver make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Add/Remove Programs.

Just double click the NVIDIA setup file and restart your computer.

Hoping this will resolve your problem.

Hey thanks for your help. Unfortunately it didn't help. The BSOD doesn't hit me, but the sims lock up when I try to run them.

FYI - here is the solution????? from Nvidia in anyone else is interested.

Frog

There are several factors that can contribute to system instability. Since the graphic card is always drawing to your screen, Windows will often report the graphics card or its drivers as the problematic device after a system error. In most cases, the problem is caused by another device or component in your system such as the motherboard, system memory, power supply or hard drive. Here are some tips to help you troubleshoot your computer.

Close unnecessary programs and processes in Windows XP and Vista.

Right-click a blank space on the Windows Taskbar and select Task Manager.
Click the Applications tab to view the list of active programs.
Click on any program listed in this window and click the End Task button.
Repeat until all programs have been closed.

The following steps are to close unnecessary processes in task manager:
Click the Processes tab to view the list of active processes.
Click the User Name column header to organize the processes by your login.
Click on any program listed next to your Windows login, other than EXPLORER.EXE and TASKMGR.EXE, then select the End Process button.

(Do not close processes running under SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE.)
Repeat the previous instructions until all programs/processes associated to your Windows Login are closed except for the following two:
TASKMGR.EXE
EXPLORER.EXE
DWM.EXE (Vista only)

If you have installed NVIDIA nTune please uninstall this utility for troubleshooting purposes through Windows Control Panel Add / Remove Programs.

Thereafter, close task manager and try to reproduce the problem.

If you do not know who makes your motherboard chipset, please consult with your PC manufacturer or your motherboard manufacturer for more information.

The following motherboard BIOS settings are suggested for better stability, but are not required settings:

Assign IRQ to VGA Enabled
VGA palette snooping Disabled
PCI Latency Timer 128
Video BIOS Shadowing Disabled
Video RAM Shadowing Disabled
USWC Options Disabled
PnP O/S Installed Enabled
Video BIOS Cacheable Disabled
Video RAM Cacheable Disabled
AGP Graphics Aperture 64MB (or half of your total system memory)

Incompatible system memory or bad system memory can also lead to system instability. Please verify that your system memory has been tested and is compatible with your motherboard make and model. There are 3rd party utilities which allow you to test the integrity of your system memory. One such program is Memtest86 which is available as a free download from the following URL:

www.memtest86.com

Just as important is your CPU. If it is malfunctioning, it will cause system instability. There are 3rd party utilities to test your CPU. One such utility is Prime95 which features a torture test which reports to you any errors generated by the CPU. This utility may be downloaded from:

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

If your NVIDIA Forceware display drivers are outdated, you may need to download and install the latest display drivers. You will find the latest Forceware unified display drivers for desktop graphic cards from our Software Downloads page at the following URL:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

From the Software Downloads page, choose "Graphics Driver" from the first box - Choose the correct "Geforce Series " if you have a Geforce, Riva TNT2 or Vanta based graphics card. Choose Quadro if you have a Quadro based graphics card -> on the third box, choose the operating system you are using and then click the Go button. This will take you to the driver downloads page for your graphics card.

If your video card features active cooling, check that the fan on the video card is spinning. If it is not spinning, in particular when you are running a 3d application, then it can cause the video card to overheat. Last but not least, verify that your system meets the full minimum system requirements provided by your video card manufacturer.

If these steps do not resolve the problem, please contact the manufacturer of your video card (please note that NVIDIA does not manufacture video cards but only designs video chips). If you received your video card as part of a computer purchase, please contact the manufacturer of your computer.

Please feel free to contact us, if you have any further questions.

Regards,
NVIDIA, Customer Care.

hi
i 'm using turbo c and my pc configuration is

Dual core processor AMD
MSI mother-board k9n
and N-VIDIA graphic card and
Sata harddisk.
when i used to run graphic program in turbo c it does not show any error not any graphic it become blank screen. while the same program run on the other pc so any one can help me out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.