A visiting relative decided to "help" my son by installing spybot on the system and running an immunization. Unfortunately, they clicked the "lock" options under tweak, and locked out everyone on the system from changing certain IE features.

The result is that when I go to IE tools/options I get a notice that I don't have authorization to do this, and to contact the system admin. (I am the admin).

I've unchecked these, restarted spybot, no change.
I unchecked them, restarted the computer, no change.

I'm uninstalled spybot, no change.

Does anyone know how to unlock this the options feature?

This all began when my son lost the ability to hear sound on flash players and was trying to find solutions to that.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Are you absolutely certain these were the only "tweaks" your relative made to the system? Honestly cannot understand why this was considered because of difficulty with flash player sounds.
What version of Internet Explorer are you using? How many users are on the computer?

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it to the desktop. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

Then give us a scan log using HiJackThis?
Run a full system scan and save the log to the desktop also.
Come back here and post both logs for us.

The flash player issue came up prior to her installing the Spybot.
She thought that spybot would find malware and shred it.

Instead, Spybot locked the tools/options.

It is the only thing she did.

It is MIE 7

When I talk about "Tweaking", I am talking about the spybot "tweaks".

That's fine, I would not have been thorough if I had not asked. Can you do those scans for me and post the logs? The reason I need the scans is your relative could very well have been right, there may be malware causing problems on the computer, though I still wonder why this lock feature was enabled as this must be done manually and has nothing to do with Spybot scanning...anyway, run the Malwarebytes program and let it fix as instructed and then do the HJT scan. Post both logs here and we can see what, if anything, turns up. We will then go from there.

Since you removed Spybot and cannot get to the program again to check other settings that were possibly tweaked also is a resgistry edit if you feel comfortable doing that but would recommend the scans first.
What operating system are you using?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.