:sad: All:

Seems that I've been hijacked.
I did all the things I'm supposed to do:
Cleared out the cookies and history - cleared the temp files - got the latest copies of Hijackthis, Adaware, CWShredder and SpyBot. Took everything offline.

Ran Adaware, rebooted. Ran SpyBot - rebooted. Ran CEShredder - rebooted. Ran HJT, rebooted in safe-mode and got rid of the nasties. Everything looked fine. Then got backon-line and everything went back to hell in the same darned handbasket!

At this point, I've spent about 15 hours cleaning and immunizing with no luck. Everytine i get rid of the dll in the BHO line, a new one comes in and takes it plae. i even tried running the dll killer and still got back to where I am. Now, even if I put an address into the IE Address bar, it comes back with the unwanted 'about:blank:' and some stupid search page

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

HJT log follows

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 5:45:29 PM, on 12/19/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysll.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\BRMFRSMG.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\program files\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\WINDOWS\msru.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Visitor\Desktop\CLEAN-UP\HijackThis.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Visitor\Desktop\CLEAN-UP\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {21165088-A6A7-77FF-067A-CE5B83F27AC4} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipbd32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\program files\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msru.exe] C:\WINDOWS\msru.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Billminder.lnk = C:\QUICKENW\BILLMIND.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)
O13 - WWW. Prefix: http://
O16 - DPF: {15AD4789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://public.windupdates.com/get_file.php?bt=ie&p=78be3a56246ecd47b37e77ee49a44a23d38d02e8a732bf5eb3d95e3981ba27dba688f336e0f20433b23fd89972b880fbdd183df6fda7c9f395:af265d9efef0028fed2d77a7a5939d3e
O16 - DPF: {33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} - http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/6/E/F6E491A6-77E1-4E20-9F5F-94901338C922/wmv9VCM.CAB
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You have an old version of hijack this you might wanna update it

The latest version is 1.98.2 and you can get it here:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/x-Download-5034.html

You can do this now or after you update HJT:
Close all browser windows, scan with HJT, and have it fix the following entries:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll/sp.html#37049
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {21165088-A6A7-77FF-067A-CE5B83F27AC4} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipbd32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msru.exe] C:\WINDOWS\msru.exe
O13 - WWW. Prefix: http://
O16 - DPF: {15AD4789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://public.windupdates.com/get_f...d2d77a7a5939d3e

Reboot into Safe Mode and delete the following files:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasjl.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipbd32.dll

Reboot normally, after you've updated HJT, close all browser windows, scan with HJT, and post a new log.

dlh6213 - Thanks:

I downloaded the new HJT (though I could not finv v1.98, only 1.99) and went through the processes. I think the problem was the msru.exe Although I had tried to get rid of it before, it wasn't until I enabled the system to see hidden files that I was able to get rid of it (INtrestingly enough, even though I would try to erase the 'bad' files using the ms-dos window, it couldn't find it either).

At this point, my current HJT log is as follows.
If you see anything else amiss, please let me know
AND THANKS!!!!!!!!!:)
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 9:36:22 AM, on 12/20/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\BRMFRSMG.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\program files\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Visitor\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis199_beta.zip\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\program files\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Billminder.lnk = C:\QUICKENW\BILLMIND.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield - Unknown - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine - Mcafee.com Corporation - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe

My fault, I need to change my link, v.1.99 hasn't been officially released yet and can cause some problems. This site has links to several other sites where you can get 1.98.2:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

When you get 1.98.2, make sure you put it in it's own permanent folder (your 1.99 is running from a temp folder).

As far as your log goes, I don't see anything; is your problem gone now?

:mrgreen: It seems to be - thanks for the other link - I'll get 1.98 and hold onto it, though 1.99beta did seem to work just fine.

Many thanks
agavzy

1.99beta did seem to work just fine.

It may have worked for you, but 1.99 isn't meant to be a public release.
Here's the explanation from Merijn (the author of HijackThis):

HijackThis version 1.99 is currently in beta. Unfortunately, several sites have picked the file off the forums where I posted it in restricted sections and posted it as a public, final release.
Please refrain from using the HijackThis 1.99 beta, it has a crash bug and is not finished yet. Be patient and wait for the final version, which should be out soon. 'Beta' does not mean 'pretty much ready anyway'.

Aside from that- yes, your log looks clean.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.