I rarely use Internet Explorer. I also have the MSN browser, which I use most often and the Mozilla Firefox browser. Sometimes when I use the computer with MSN, the computer opens up about 7 or 8 IE windows and I can't do a thing with my computer. If I manage to close the windows, they just open again. This doesn't happen at all when I use Mozilla. My computer has also been running rather slow lately, which concerns me. I have Ad-Aware, Spybot and the free version of TrendMicro. I was using Avast, but I took it off yesterday to download TrendMicro, thinking it might catch something that Avast missed. I still have the same problem though. I work at home, and I CANNOT afford to lose this computer. Please help!!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

probably some spyware which hijacks IE only, try scanning it with ad aware and see if it fixes the problem.

i also have this same problem, and it makes me just want to delete internet explorer from my computer but i think that could screw things up. i had just recently got this computer and when ie opens up, it forces me to shut down my computer. thanks to anyone who helps.

Hello to all and welcome to daniweb.
ONLY one person should be posting problems in this thread and that is sarahlorrain.

lindsey482 you should create your OWN thread with problems stated and what steps you have done to correct them. By the way lindsey482, you CANNOT remove Internet Explorer from the system. It is an integral part of the operating system. You don't have to use it but you cannot remove it.

I recommend that you both do the following;

Update your anti-virus programs. Run Full System Scans with anti-virus programs and allow to fix all that is found.

Download the ATF-Cleaner.exe by Atribune

RUN ATF-Cleaner.exe.

-- Click on ATF-Cleaner to run it
-- Where it says Select Files To Delete, Check the Select All Option
-- Click Empty Selected > OK

If you use Firefox browser, do this also:

* Click Firefox at the top and choose Select All from the list.
* Click the Empty Selected button.
* NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

Reboot the computer.

Right Click on the desktop and choose New, Folder. Name this folder HiJackThis.
Download HiJackThis to this new folder.
Run a Full System scan with HiJackThis and save the log.
Post back here and copy/paste both the MBA-M log and the HiJackThis log into your thread.
Judy

ive had a similar thing happen when i open a new window in msn, im thinking its something in msn. when i see the link it says something at the end of the link about javascript which isnt there normally on that webpages url, im thinking something in the msn browser itself is causeing this to happen but an unsure of what is causing it.

i am able to reproduce this error, having task manager open already allowed me to close msn which ended the internet explorer cascade. the reason i posted this in here instead of a new thread is since i have the same problem and tried the advice given to no avail and i asume the original poster had no success either that my new info might help solve the problem, i registerd for this site just to give this info

cornholio157 - Pls create your own thread :)

Thankyou

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.