Hello to this wonderful community. I am having a problem I cannot fix. I got the Virus Bug where it took over the PC with the BIG FAT message in the middle of the Screen sayng
"Warning" You PC has several Viruses. etc. Yes spelled wrong and all. At the end it said "Thank" forgot the you I guess. Well after working with it and using several tools i am finally back up and running except with one problem.
Malwarebytes keeps reporting 2 problems with the Registry Data Items. I tell it to fix and it says it does but they are still there on a re-scan. After reboot or not. They are the Userinit.exe (trogan.Agent) and Userinit data.
I have the latest database from Malwarebytes - dated today.
Log below.
Help I need to remove them
Thanks
Ed

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1892
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/24/2009 2:22:45 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-24 (14-22-45).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 99431
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 32 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: system32\userinit.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hello

First thing i would try to do is boot into safe mode (push f8 after post) and run a full scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Remove everything it finds and reboot if necessary. Boot back into safe mode Then run hijack this and post the log so I or someone else will be able to take a look at it to see if that shows any infections.

Also relating to the userinit.exe file, that file is necessary for login. Without it, you will click your log in name and within 5 seconds, it will log you back out.

Any questions, hopefully I can answer. I am at work all day every day but I will try to check back.

Thanks

Hijackthis must be done in normal mode, not safe mode. We need to see everything running and safe mode does not allow that.

==

Download HijackThis Executable from here. Save it to your desktop.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and then go to the format Tab and make sure that wordwrap is unchecked. Copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

I knew that lol thanks for correcting me

Hijackthis must be done in normal mode, not safe mode. We need to see everything running and safe mode does not allow that.

==

Download HijackThis Executable from here. Save it to your desktop.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and then go to the format Tab and make sure that wordwrap is unchecked. Copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode and got the saem thing. Attached is the Hijack log file from Windows running normally.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:38:38 PM, on 3/24/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ccs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Authentium\AntiVirus\dvpapi.exe
C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTuneEngine.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\PTHOSTTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.3\apdproxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon04.exe
C:\Program Files\Cisco Aironet\ADU.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional\AntiVirus\ioloAV.exe
C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional\Personal Firewall\ioloFW.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EADM\Core.exe
C:\Program Files\SanDisk\SanDisk TransferMate\SD Monitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPHipm11.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\CPSHelpRunner.exe
C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional\AntiVirus\iAVEmailScanner.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32Info.exe
C:\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ant.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.ant.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {061a854b-b785-4591-98ae-deb2a9ec4bf6} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AskBar BHO - {201f27d4-3704-41d6-89c1-aa35e39143ed} - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8c827088-939f-48f3-a4dd-f7c2ac55dc12} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {b40316b3-b1f2-4dab-8fb9-e3128e045fd7} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {3041d03e-fd4b-44e0-b742-2d9b88305f98} - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetRefresh] C:\Program Files\Compaq\SetRefresh\SetRefresh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxWatchTray] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTHOSTTR] C:\Program Files\HPQ\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\PTHOSTTR.EXE /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD06] C:\Program Files\HP\{AAC4FC36-8F89-4587-8DD3-EBC57C83374D}\hphupd06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAShCut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMXLauncher] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.3\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon04] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADU] "C:\Program Files\Cisco Aironet\ADU.exe" -nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iolo AntiVirus] "C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional\AntiVirus\ioloAV.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iolo Personal Firewall] "C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional\Personal Firewall\ioloFW.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_9 -reboot 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ccleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EA Core] "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EADM\Core.exe" -silent
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [joroteveyo] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\bovusuyo.dll",s (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [joroteveyo] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\bovusuyo.dll",s (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: AutorunsDisabled
O4 - Global Startup: Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\SanDisk\SanDisk TransferMate\SD Monitor.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\iavlsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\iolo\common\firewall\ifw_xfilter.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\iolo\common\firewall\ifw_xfilter.dll
O16 - DPF: {200B3EE9-7242-4EFD-B1E4-D97EE825BA53} (VerifyGMN Class) - http://h20270.www2.hp.com/ediags/gmn/install/hpobjinstaller_gmn.cab
O16 - DPF: {37A273C2-5129-11D5-BF37-00A0CCE8754B} (TTestGenXInstallObject) - http://asp.mathxl.com/wizmodules/testgen/installers/TestGenXInstall.cab
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www.costcophotocenter.com/CostcoActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1146113963390
O16 - DPF: {67A5F8DC-1A4B-4D66-9F24-A704AD929EEE} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload/srl/2.0.0.1/sysreqlab2.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E5E167B-1566-4316-B27F-0DDAB3484CF7} (Image Uploader Control) - http://edssideshots.exposuremanager.com/uploader/ImageUploader4.cab
O16 - DPF: {95D88B35-A521-472B-A182-BB1A98356421} (Pearson Installation Assistant 2) - http://asp.mathxl.com/books/_Players/PearsonInstallAsst2.cab
O16 - DPF: {DB7BF79A-FC51-4B5A-92BC-A65731174380} (InstantAction Game Launcher) - http://www.instantaction.com/download/iaplayer.cab
O16 - DPF: {E36C5562-C4E0-4220-BCB2-1C671E3A5916} (Seagate SeaTools English Online) - file://F:\tools\EN\bin\npseatools.cab
O16 - DPF: {E6D23284-0E9B-417D-A782-03E4487FC947} (Pearson MathXL Player) - http://asp.mathxl.com/books/_Players/MathPlayer.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: mngjon.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Cisco Configuration Service (CCS) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ccs.exe
O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Authentium, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Authentium\AntiVirus\dvpapi.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Port Resolver - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpbpro.exe
O23 - Service: HP Status Server - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpboid.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\Shared\hpqwmi.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iolo FileInfoList Service (ioloFileInfoList) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
O23 - Service: iolo System Service (ioloSystemService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: MagicTuneEngine - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTuneEngine.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPH11 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPHipm11.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\SharedCOM8\RoxMediaDB.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher (RoxWatch) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\SharedCOM8\RoxWatch.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

--
End of file - 13399 bytes

sorry crunchie if u think im bypassing u , i just did a quick google search and find out the following link which can be applied under this particular case .

http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/106.html

or another option u have is to copy this file from any CLEAN xp sp3 , put it in ur flash drive .. then download any little live linux ( i recommend puppy coz it ll auto mount ur drives and attached usb _) burn it on cd , boot from it and get this file replaced..

i had this problem once after i fixed my friend's system few months before,after i cleaned system and rebooted ,it never went to desktop after this and keep restarting the system whenever i clicked on his user account to log in , i did not know that this file caused all the trouble ..

Try downloading and running a program called "combofix".

Try downloading and running a program called "combofix".

combofix is not an ordinary scanner , and to all due respect to u ,it is not the way to recommend such a powerful and suffisticated thing .

he is having corruption in one of his pe files , and i doubt it if he can repair it with any tool unless he gets it replaced .( im not sure but i think Dr.web is known to cure pe files )

No offense taken. I totally understand and I believe dr. web does cure that as well. Just starting helping in forums and i will try to help out better.

Unless you know how to use combofix, please do not recommend it :).

Well I did not use it.
I read and figured that I could take a chance on replacing the file, so I removed the hard drive and put it in another computer with the same XP service pack 3 as Drive D. Then copied the file userinit.exe from the good drive. Took it out and put it back in the orginal computer. Now Malwarebytes says it is O.K. and finds nothing. I am still doing some checking. Let's see if it stays fixed for a day. Did you see alot of junk in the file that i should remove with hijack.
Thanks

congrats ,

i guess problem is solved now . that pe file was corrupted thats it .but if u have doubts , post a fresh hijack this..

thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.