I have a problem with IE6. I have Windows XP service pack 2. I am using a straight cable connection (no router). I had a BHO toolbar (ISTBAR). I was trying desperately to get rid of it. So i ran HijackThis. Got rid of it with HijackThis. I have noticed the problem after I ran hijackthis (I tried to run a program that uses IE6). There was no response from the program. I tried a game no respone either. I opened up the Internet Explorer browser and it just takes a long time to load then after about 30 seconds it gives me this: "Cannot find server - Microsoft internet Explorer". I also use Mozilla Firefox that runs fine. I scanned for spyware with 5 programs, no help. Tried to fix it with sfc /scannow. Nothing. Went on microsoft found nothing usefull. Searched all over google and nothing helped. I tried to reinstall windows, still didn't do anything. I tried to repair windows still nothing. This is driving me nuts! I know it's not my internet connection because i'm running Mozilla just fine. I have no firewall currently running, no router on my computer. I have tried absolutely everything and nothing works, so please somebody reply with a real fix to this problem. Please don't just tell me to run some anti spyware program.

Thank you in Advance

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:23:20 PM, on 3/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Igor\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.344\HijackThis.exe

O23 - Service: Abi42pese - - (no file)
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Your HijackThis log is incomplete; you are also running the program from within a Temp folder, which is not advised. Please follow the directions below:

Create a folder outside of any Temp/Temporary folders for HJT and move it there now. A folder such such as C:\HijackThis or C:\Spyware Tools\HijackThis will do.

One of the normal steps in eliminating malicious programs is to entirely delete the contents of all Temp folders. Given that, if HijackThis (and other data that you care about) is living in those Temp folders, it will be erased along with everything else!
Temp/Temporary folders are just that- Temporary. They are not meant for permanent storage, as their contents are often delete in the course of troubleshooting, by running disk clean-up utilities, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before fixing problems with HijackThis, you must make sure to close/quit ALL instances of your web browser! HijackThis cannot fully perform its fixes while browsers are running.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run HijackThis, but do not have HJT fix anything yet; only have it scan your system! Once the scan is complete, the "Scan" button will turn into an option to "Save log...". Save the log in the folder you created for HiajckThis, open the log in Windows Notepad, and cut-n-paste the entire contents of the log here. Once we analyse the log we can tell you what to do from there.

problem solved, i just reformated, getting rid of the spyware wasn't the problem, IE didnt work thats all, do you think spyware caused it not to work?

do you think spyware caused it not to work?

It's definitely possible, but without having your full HijackThis log or any other background information, I couldn't say that for sure.

"Cannot find server" and/or "DNS error" problems can occur for a number of reasons, ranging from damage done by malicious infections to a problem with your ISP's DNS servers. Have a read through some of our previous threads on the subject if you want more info on the possible causes:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/search.php?searchid=344108

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.