Hello, I recently had a nasty adware/spyware virus with a load of trojans too which infected my computer and kept on popping up ads etc., well i gave up trying to get rid of it so saved all my files onto an external hard drive and reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows...
Since the reformat i've plugged in my external harddrive and shortly after a little window appeared saying installing... and the virus was just installed back onto my computer :( Although now its pretty tame as there are no ads popping up all the time. But I really want to get rid of it because my virus scan says i have a few trojans and also if i press cntrl alt delete it pops up saying "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" when i should be the adminstrator (I'm the only one who uses this computer)... I would also like to get rid of the virus from my external hard drive because i want to install windows 7 when it comes out and dont want to just install the virus onto that as soon as i get it... please help thanks

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Obviously when you

saved all my files onto an external hard drive and reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows...

you ALSO saved all those infections on that external drive. Then as you said after the reformat of the hard drive, which then should have been clean, and plugged in the external drive these infections began putting themselves back onto the hard drive.
First thing I would recommend, of course unplug this external drive first, then do the following info from BleepingComputer:

Use Flash_Disinfector, by sUBs. Clicking that link will download it to your computer. Save it to your Desktop for easy access.
Then do the following:

* Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.

* The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.

* Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.

* Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.

* Reboot your computer when done.

Now what this will do is disable the autorun feature of the external drive. THAT is ALL it will do. You WILL still be able to access the drive and Windows WILL see it, it will just stop it from being able to automatically running when plugged in or when the computer boots.
To access this drive now you will have to go to My Computer and double click the drive to open it.
It is this auto run feature which is enabling the infected files to be transferred back to your computer.

AFTER you do this then do the following:
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
When doing this be absolutely certain that the scan is run on the Hard drive of course PLUS also on any external drives you may have.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

Reboot the computer

Next do the following:
Please Run the ESET Online Scanner and post the ScanLog with your post for assistance.

* You will need to use Internet Explorer to to complete this scan.
* You will need to temporarily Disable your current Anti-virus program.

* Be sure the option to Remove found threats is Un-checked at this time (we may have it clean what it finds at a later time), and the option to Scan unwanted applications is Checked.
* When you have completed that scan, a scanlog ought to have been created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please post that log for us as directed below.

Reboot the computer. Post back here with BOTH logs.

thank you very much for that very much appreciated, i can now press cntrl alt delete and bring up the task manager woo :) I managed to do the MBA-M log, but i couldn't get ESET online scanner to work tried both IE and firefox, it just crashed when it was loading everytime...

Here's the MBA-M log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2831
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

20/09/2009 19:28:22
mbam-log-2009-09-20 (19-28-22).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 226567
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 4 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 6
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 11

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{10c0b0c0-fc01-473b-8ebb-4376353f96e4} (Trojan.Banker) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{10c0b0c0-fc01-473b-8ebb-4376353f96e4} (Trojan.Banker) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{10c0b0c0-fc01-473b-8ebb-4376353f96e4} (Trojan.Banker) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MSN\BN (Trojan.Ambler) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MSN\D1 (Trojan.Ambler) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MSN\D2 (Trojan.Ambler) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MSN\D3 (Trojan.Ambler) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MSN\gd (Trojan.Ambler) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MSN\pr (Trojan.Ambler) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX 3\UNWISE.EXE (Malware.Packer.Morphine) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 2\UNWISE.EXE (Malware.Packer.Morphine) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\BACK UP\Program Files\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX 3\UNWISE.EXE (Malware.Packer.Morphine) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\BACK UP\Program Files\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\Guitar Rig 2\UNWISE.EXE (Malware.Packer.Morphine) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\c2d.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ck.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\idm.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inform.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nk.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\q1.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Studawwg\Local Settings\Temp\nsrbgxod.bak (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Well I hate to alarm you BUT two of the Trojans found are extremely dangerous to your personal files, your passwords, your bank accounts, your credit cards, anything personal like that very likely have been compromised.

Trojan.Banker steals information such as bank accounts, usernames, passwords and credit card details from your computer and sends it to the attacker.

Trojan.Ambler is a Trojan designed to steal passwords from users who run Windows operating system on their computers.

You DO need to contact your bank and any credit card companies you deal with and inform them there has been a information stealing infection on your computer and there is a possibility that your account information was stolen. Do this IMMEDIATELY.

I also would advise that you change ALL passwords on the computer itself, email account passwords, PM passwords, etc.

At least one file was in a temp file so please download CCleaner and run the default scan with it to remove your temp files.
Since your couldn't get the ESET to work try these two;

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ Scan with IE or Firefox for this one
http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.htmlScan with IE only for this one

Also do this online malware scanner;
http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html IE or FF for this one

Report back with the logs.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh crap, thats so lamee... just about to go to university i dont want all my money stolen lol. This computer has been infected for a fair while now maybe one or two months, I've made an effort not to go onto online banking on this computer, but i may have done so before i knew i had trojans... but thus far no money has been stolen so hopefully I'm safe... but yes i will change all my passwords and tell my bank.. oh I'm pretty sure i've used paypal and ebay on this computer...
Just doing the trend micro scan atm its taking really long though estimated 2 hours left :S Can i do more than one scan at once?

No, you can't do more than one at once AND if THIS is the infected computer then you shouldn't be doing ANYTHING at all on it while the scans are running. That would most definitely slow them down. If fact you should only be using the browser for the scan, nothing else. You seriously need to contact your bank asap. I don't know where you are located but here my bank does have a telephone number in operation 24/7 and 365 days a year for these types of notifications. If I were you I would also contact PayPal and eBay. Not sure of what is required there, as I don't use either, but they should be notified also. Especially if you possibly had these on the system over two months.

I know this is probably completely unhelpful but i'll post you what trendmicro housecall resulted with:

Detected vulnerabilities

MS04-038

Transfering more information about this vulnerability...
An error occurred while trying to retrieve more information about this vulnerability. There is currently no more information available.
More information about this vulnerability and its elimination.
Affected programs and services: unknown
Malware exploiting this vulnerability: unknown

MS04-041

An error occurred while trying to retrieve more information about this vulnerability. There is currently no more information available.

MS04-043

MS04-044

MS05-001

MS05-004

MS05-007

MS05-008

MS05-009

MS05-011

MS05-012

MS05-013

MS05-014

MS05-015

MS05-016

MS05-018

MS05-019

MS05-020

MS05-025

MS05-026

MS05-027

MS05-032

MS05-033

MS05-036

MS05-038

MS05-039

MS05-040

MS05-041

MS05-042

MS05-043

MS05-045

MS05-047

MS05-048

MS05-049

MS05-050

MS05-051

MS05-052

MS05-053

MS05-054

MS06-001

MS06-002

MS06-005

MS06-006

MS06-007

MS06-008

MS06-013

MS06-014

MS06-015

MS06-018

MS06-021

MS06-023

MS06-025

MS06-030

MS06-032

MS06-033

MS06-035

MS06-036

MS06-040

MS06-041

MS06-042

MS06-045

MS06-046

MS06-050

MS06-051

MS06-052

MS06-053

MS06-055

MS06-056

MS06-057

MS06-063

MS06-064

MS06-065

MS06-066

MS06-067

MS06-068

MS06-070

MS06-072

MS06-075

MS06-076

MS07-004

MS07-006

MS07-007

MS07-008

MS07-009

MS07-011

MS07-013

MS07-017

MS07-019

MS07-020

MS07-021

MS07-022

MS07-027

MS07-031

MS07-033

MS07-034

MS07-035

MS07-042

MS07-043

MS07-045

MS07-046

MS07-047

MS07-050

MS07-056

MS07-057

MS07-058

MS07-061

MS07-064

MS07-067

MS07-068

MS07-069

MS08-001

MS08-002

MS08-007

MS08-008

MS08-010

MS08-020

MS08-021

MS08-022

MS08-025

MS08-028

MS08-031

MS08-033

MS08-046

MS08-049

MS08-061

MS08-063

MS08-064

MS08-066

MS08-067

MS08-068

MS08-071

MS08-073

MS08-078

MS09-001

MS09-006

MS09-007

MS09-011

MS09-012

MS09-013

MS09-014

MS09-015

MS09-026

An error occurred whi

I need you to do something for me:
1. Click the Start Menu.
2. Click Run.
3. Type in "mbam.exe /developer", without the quotes.
4. Run the same type of scan you did before and save the logfile and post it.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2831
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

21/09/2009 01:23:35
mbam-log-2009-09-21 (01-23-35).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 223504
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 1 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

THanks!

It looks like the virus has gone?

Not so fast. I need you to download and run a Full Scan with HijackThis and save the log. Post back here with the log and we'll see if anything else needs to be done.

Can I ask you, when you reformatted the hard drive then did you do ALL of the Critical Updates for your Windows program? And If so, did you do all of these BEFORE attaching that external drive?

So does that last scan mean the virus has been removed?

oh sorry didnt see a second page i missed two of your messages

You didn't answer my question either.

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.5\NppBho.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Tunebite_WebRipPlugin Class - {AA102584-3B97-47e7-B9BC-75D54C110A7D} - C:\Program Files\RapidSolution\Tunebite\plugins\IE\TB_WebRipIePlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.1.1309.3572\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.5\UIBHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [H2O] C:\Program Files\SyncroSoft\Pos\H2O\cledx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nView\nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "c:\program files\steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Lite] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe" -autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" clear
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Auto Shutdown.lnk = C:\Program Files\Ali Keshavarz\Auto Shutdown\AutoShutdown.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless USB Adapter Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D8053v3011\Belkinwcui.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Rip YouTube File - {38E51477-DDB4-4aed-9D61-D0C193E10749} - C:\Program Files\SoundTaxi\YouTubeRipper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Rip YouTube file embedded in this page - {38E51477-DDB4-4aed-9D61-D0C193E10749} - C:\Program Files\SoundTaxi\YouTubeRipper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c9f4042e5dd95e) (gupdate1c9f4042e5dd95e) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: nTune Service (nTuneService) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMovieServer - SoundMovieServer - C:\WINDOWS\system32\snmvtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

--
End of file - 10256 bytes

When i reformatted I'm not sure i did all the critical updates, and its likely i didnt do them before inserting in the external hard drive

btw do i check them all and delete?

I asked you if you did the critical updates of the system because the Detected vulnerabilities from the Trend Housecall scan that you posted ALL refer to Critical Updates which SHOULD be on the system and ARE NOT. A reformat erases all files, necessitating the install of the operating system to the point it was when purchased, period. THEN in order to bring the system up to the CURRENT security level available ALL Critical Updates MUST be installed BEFORE adding anything else...new hard ware, software, printers, scanners and yes EXTERNAL drives. One very simple means of infecting a computer is Not having these Critical updates. They don't call them Critical for no reason...Critical means absolutely needed, not "might be needed" but absolutely needed. The Critical updates ALWAYS refer to security issues and most definitely should be done. You said it was likely you didn't do these before adding the external drive, this Trend Housecall scan shows they were NOT installed and have not been installed yet. So your ENTIRE system is WAY OUT OF DATE.

You said you want to install Windows 7 when it comes out, you do know this won't be FREE don't you?

Your HiJackThis log is incomplete. The ENTIRE log must be posted.

#1.Yours does not show any running processes except for HiJackThis, these are KEY items that we must see and there is no way this could have been the only thing running.

#2. It does not show the informational portion, the TOP portion of the log which looks like this example:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:51:38 PM, on 9/19/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16876)
Boot mode: Normal

#3.THEN the Running Processes show below that...somewhat like this example
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS

#4. Then after the Running processes there should be a section like this example below;
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.att.net/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1
Which shows start pages, various Toolbars and browser add-ons, etc.

We have to see ALL of these in order to determine the next steps. No, you don't DELETE anything with HiJackThis unless told to do so, IF you are told to do so. Very often you are NOT ever told to do anything else using HiJackThis. HiJackThis is NOT to be considered a "FIX" tool primarily, it is a scanner which will give a "snapshot" of what is running, why it may be running, other added files, services running, if you have an anti-virus program and firewall installed and running, what OTHER security programs installed and running, IF any. Odd or unusual files often show which then give a clearer picture of what else may be needed.

Please post back with the COMPLETE HJT log,

Did you contact your bank and credit card companies? Did you contact eBay and PayPal?

Righto, yes i do realise that windows 7 won't be free lol, and i do realise the importance of critical updates, i reformatted my hard drive a few months ago so can't be certain that i installed the critical updates, the strong likelihood is i would have been prompted and done so. Also if i hadn't i would still be prompted to this date to install them? as I'm not i can kind of assume i've already installed them.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 19:21:53, on 21/09/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\SyncroSoft\Pos\H2O\cledx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D8053v3011\Belkinwcui.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Ali Keshavarz\Auto Shutdown\AutoShutdown.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.5\NppBho.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Tunebite_WebRipPlugin Class - {AA102584-3B97-47e7-B9BC-75D54C110A7D} - C:\Program Files\RapidSolution\Tunebite\plugins\IE\TB_WebRipIePlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.1.1309.3572\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.5\UIBHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [H2O] C:\Program Files\SyncroSoft\Pos\H2O\cledx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nView\nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "c:\program files\steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Lite] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe" -autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" clear
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Auto Shutdown.lnk = C:\Program Files\Ali Keshavarz\Auto Shutdown\AutoShutdown.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless USB Adapter Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D8053v3011\Belkinwcui.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Rip YouTube File - {38E51477-DDB4-4aed-9D61-D0C193E10749} - C:\Program Files\SoundTaxi\YouTubeRipper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Rip YouTube file embedded in this page - {38E51477-DDB4-4aed-9D61-D0C193E10749} - C:\Program Files\SoundTaxi\YouTubeRipper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c9f4042e5dd95e) (gupdate1c9f4042e5dd95e) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: nTune Service (nTuneService) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMovieServer - SoundMovieServer - C:\WINDOWS\system32\snmvtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

--
End of file - 9941 bytes

You can not count on being prompted to install anything. You have to have Automatic Updates fully enabled for sure. But with a reformat you cannot count on that, and obviously these ARE NOT on the computer or you wouldn't have gotten those notices from the Trend Housecall scan. It's a pretty thorough scan, if they had been there then they would have been detected.

Just a quick "look through" on this log and I see immediately that you are running TWO anti-virus programs. Symantec/Norton and AVG8. A BIG No-No. Both ARE showing as running in the Running Processes.
One of these MUST be Uninstalled Immediately. Not deleted but UNINSTALLED. The choice is yours. If you PAID for Norton and it is current then Keep it. If you did NOT pay for Norton but either got it for free via your school or whatever then choose...AVG or Norton. BUT NOT BOTH.
Same goes for firewalls, if you have two running, Uninstall one of them.

Another thing showing in the Top portion of the log is this computer is NOT fully updated. You are running XP SP2....SP3 has been available for a year and a half almost. You are still using IE6, IE7 was released TWO years ago. Heck, IE8 (which I don't recommend) was released for general use in March of this year.

Righto, cheers, i haven't bothered updating IE6 because i just use firefox but probably should update it at some point... ahh well so do i still have viruses? I should probably delete norton cause it hasn't been updated for like a year

uninstall* lol

UNINSTALL Norton absolutely!!!! This is also one reason for your infections...two anti-virus programs running at the same time will not increase protection because they fight each other. Uninstall Norton and then try a couple of those online anti-virus scans again. I cannot say the infections are gone because the only scan run was MBA-M and SAS. We really need to see an anti-virus scan or two because MBA-M and SAS don't look for the same things as an anti-virus scan. Some things do over lap on searches but each security scan looks for something slightly different.
Go via Add/Remove to Uninstall ALL Norton AND Symantec files. Then run the Norton Uninstall Tool to be sure everything is gone.
THEN try the online scans again and see what happens. THEN post the logs and do a NEW HJT scan.
Rebooting for all of these steps may be necessary, if so please do so.
When all is complete then run a new HJT scan and save the log. Post back with all new logs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.